14 | entire romano family

"She said what?" Cass questions as she drains the pasta

"She said what?" Cass questions as she drains the pasta. Today is her day to cook and seeing as this is the only thing she has any knowledge about, she's making chicken Alfredo.

I have no qualms about it.

I sip my bottle of water, "She said it came back and wants me to visit her for Thanksgiving so we can 'clear the air.'"

"That sounds like some bullshit to me." She says and I don't disagree. "If she really wanted to build a relationship with you, she shoulda been done it without cancer looming over her. That's on some wack behavior."

There Cassidy goes with her insightful advice. She has a point. No wonder she's gunning for that psychology degree and excelling too.

"Yeah, but why not?" I shrug, "I mean, I could be petty and refuse but that's just reflecting her behavior. I'd rather do anything to solidify the fact that I'm not like her."

"Baby girl, I seriously do not give a fuck." Cassidy deadpan, turning to look at me while mixing the sauce and the chicken in the pasta, "You deserve better and I can bet she's gonna try to gaslight the fuck out of you and then you'll come to realize that you should've said no in the first place."

The conversation is interrupted by a ringing phone — hers, to be specific.

Seeing as it was right in front of me, I take the liberty of answering to see my favorite person. Five year old Maya Romano greets me, a beautiful smile on her face, brown eyes staring me down like they usually do.

"Hi, sweetheart." I greet in excitement. Ever since I met this baby girl in Spain, I see her as a cousin rather than my best friend's niece. Damn, even Cass's sister is like a sister to me.

Speaking of her, Monique comes into the screen, calling to Luis who's offscreen.

"Is that my good sis Eliana Oakley?" Mo greets, making me laugh. Maya runs off elsewhere, "Sorry, Maya out here calling everybody on this phone."

I pout, "I miss her lil chubby cheeks."

Monique tuts, "What, so you don't miss me? Damn, I see how it is."

I roll my eyes, "You know what I mean. I'm for real though, bring her back."

Monique scoffs, "Not yet. You gotta suffer with me first. Where's the other one?"

Not her calling her baby sister the other one.

I flip the camera to show Cassidy washing up the pots she used with a cheeky smile on her face.

"Cass!" Monique calls, "Just wanted to let you know that Milena flew in today. Says she's missing her novias."

"Oh?" Cass's brows raise, "When you gon' book me and Frankie's flight then?"

I laugh at her obsession. It's been a running joke amongst us all that Cass has an American girlfriend and a Spanish girlfriend, but we all know that she only has eyes for Frankie.

"Thanksgiving, booked. Ana, you coming through?"

I flip the camera again with a sigh, "Unfortunately no. Spending it with my," I gag, "Mother."

Monique reciprocates my reaction and retches, "Drop her for a lil Spanish man. They know how to roll they tongue."

I laugh at her vulgarity.

Of course she would know, her man is out there in the background playing around with Maya and the travel advisor herself is trying her hardest to hide that pregnant belly of hers but I'm pretty good at spotting it in her face.

"Didn't you hear?" Cassidy says before I can stop her, "She got herself a lil white chocolate."

"Cassidy, shut up —"

Monique gasps dramatically, "Waiiiiiit," She looks behind her and yells to Matteo, "Ana got a man."

"No, I —"

Before I know it, Matteo snatches the phone out of Monique's hand and walks away, both his and Maya's heads pushed into the screen.

"Since when did get un hombre?" He asks, brows furrowed. "Do I have to meet him? Or does Cass have it handled?"

I roll my eyes and lean back, "What happened to hi? Hello?"

"What's his name?" Maya asks and I know her parents put her up to this.

"Where's Lu?" I change the subject but Cassidy and her big mouth.

"His name is Case!"

"Shhhhhh!" I wave Cassidy off and shift the camera so they have a view of my forehead, "Where's Luis? He's who I'm really here for!"

"You said you wanted to talk to Maya!" Monique pipes in from off camera.

"I changed my mind. Luis!"

Fifteen year old Luis Romano comes on screen, his puberty beard making an appearance, "Hey Ana."

"Hey, favorite person in the entire Romano family, how ya been?"

"Good. Who's your boyfriend?"

I plant the phone on the counter and walk away. "Okay, I'm gonna leave now."

lmfaoaoaoaoa this was just so cute, i had to put it in