19 | until you're ready

There's a crowd of people gathered in the living room, passing around stories and plates and drinks and loud ass conversations

My mother has been in the kitchen for most of the night while my father is in the mix of people, laughing obnoxiously as if he's surrounded by the funniest people in the world.

I, however, am stood in a corner, going through my settings as a way to avoid conversation with my family. Everyone in this room has downplayed my dream of joining the NFL at least once.

My mom is the only person who's driven me to the point I'm at now.

Just as I'm about to make another run for the bathroom to hide away, my phone rings and on the screen is Eliana's face. Immediately I pick up and step outside, moving away from the noise.

"Hey, boo." My attempt at making her laugh works because she chuckles into the mic.

"Hi, Case." She greets and there's a pause. "How's dinner going?"

I scoff, "Uh, well, I could do without it." My smile grows, "You?"

She huffs, "Well, I wouldn't know. I've been sitting on the sidewalk for the last thirty minutes, preparing myself to go inside."

My eyes widen, "You're out there by yourself?"

"Yeah, but don't worry about me, Case. I'm fine. I just... needed a minute. And... I missed your voice so I decided why not..." Her voice wavers nervously as she speaks and I can almost see her squint her eyes in thought, "I, uh, could go for a hug right about now."

The sadness in her tone is enough to make me want to jump in my car and catch a flight to North Carolina, but I know she wouldn't want that. She'd want me to enjoy my time with family, but I really couldn't give a fuck about any of them right now — save for my mother.

"Hey," I say softly, hopefully drawing her attention to me, "When we see each other again, I promise you can just latch on to me until you're ready to let go, alright?"

She sniffles and I just want to be there with her, comfort her and let her know that I'm here for her. She hasn't told me everything going on with her parents, but I know it's a tough subject and I don't want to force her into revealing anything she doesn't want to.

Her breathy exhale travels through the phone and I can just feel her stress.

"Do you mind..."

I know what she's going to ask and I don't mind. I really don't. With that, I lower myself onto the seat on the patio and lean forward, a small smile on my face.