26. Old dreams and uncertain futures

Zacznij od początku

"How come, I'm the cop, yet you're the one doing the detective work." He joked, and we laughed together.

You'd think that, me being so helplessly awkward would have ruined everything between us, and at first it almost did, the same as when we were 20. But ... between Ben and his pushing me to get out of my comfort zone, and Valerie with her 'womanhood' lessons, but more importantly the fact that Jeremy is just as awkward as I am, if not worse, I guess we ... work. 

There's really not much to say about it. We have a lot in common, and we have fun when we're together, easy fun, without pressure. Actually, the moment we realized we didn't need to put too much pressure on things to go somewhere specific, we started really enjoying our time together. Sometimes things are just as simple as they seem.

"Have you thought about your next move?" Jeremy wondered as he took a madeleine for himself. I already had a couple too many, they were just too good.

I shrugged, leaning back. "With the money from the Wharton gig, I settled some things, and then set aside some for expenses. Ben says he might have something else this weekend. It won't pay as much as the Wharton, but still good enough."

"Weekend, huh." Jeremy grimaced. "I thought I'd have you to myself this time ..."

Cue the reddening of my cheeks. The more confidence he gains, the more he drops these smooth lines I never know how to respond to. "Well, most weddings are on the weekend." I said, trying to sound nonchalant. To cover my anxiety, I drank some water.

"So, you only join him for the weddings?"

"Yeah, only those gigs where he needs help with equipment and stuff."

"Every weekend?" Jeremy inquired, seemingly disappointed.

"I don't know, it really depends on him, you know."

He smiled faintly. "So your neighbor is pretty much your employer now."

I chuckled. "In a way, yeah, maybe. I don't mind, Ben isn't really demanding, although he's fully focused when he works. This week he was so stressed out, I didn't know how to cheer him up. When he screamed like that, at the beach, I really worried for a moment."

"You went to the beach with Ben?"

"Yeah, there was a whole scandal at the ceremony, you know," I munched on a madeleine, "the reception was cut short, we got half of yesterday off, so we went to the beach, to see the sunset."

Jeremy nodded without a word, but all of a sudden, he seemed preoccupied, doubtful. I'm not sure why. He likes Ben, they've talked a couple of times, but at the sole mention of the beach, he kind of clouded over. It's not like he has anything to worry about, I mean ... it's Ben.

"So you have every Sunday off?" I asked, to restart the conversation. Jeremy remained silent for a couple of minutes, which might not be odd for two like us, but it's odd when you're having a date, isn't it? "Jeremy?" I called when he didn't answer. "You ok?" I touched his arm lightly.

He almost jolted awake. "Huh?" He looked at me. "Oh, yeah, I was just ... thinking."

"Thinking?"

"Does Ben have anyone?" He asked abruptly.

I frowned. "You mean family? Yeah, in Nebraska."

Jeremy shook his head. "No, I mean, is he seeing anyone?" He arched an eyebrow quizzically. "Does he have a girlfriend?"

I almost laughed, I swear. So this is why he remained quiet for a few minutes? Me and Ben at the beach together made him think weird things? Come on. Actually, I did laugh, which had Jeremy stare at me confused, so I explained: "Ben has a boyfriend." I pointed out.