10. Ben The Magnanimous

"You realize I don't have money for this, right?" I grumbled when we got to the mall. Last time I went to a place like this, I was 13 and I needed a bra. After that, thank heavens, e-commerce became a thing.

"Makeover doesn't need to be expensive." Ben argued.

"No? It literally involves buying things, which entails spending money I don't have." I scoffed, to which he turned to me, half smiling. "What?"

"Nothing. I just like that you're finally coming around."

"Coming around?"

"Talking."

"Oh." I blushed a little. "Well, I'm not a Tibetan monk, I'm just ..."

"Selective."

I cracked a small smile. He totally nailed it. "Yeah."

"Well," he brought a hand to his heart, "I'm flattered to be included in your tiny circle," he tipped off his imaginary hat, but because he was walking backwards, he almost tripped into the dustbin behind him. I tried not to laugh, but a small chuckle came out.

"So where do we start?" Or rather, what should I prepare to first?

"The clothes, of course."

"Ben ..." I grumbled as he marched straight towards one of those shops that 9 times out of 10 don't sell plus size clothing.

"Yes, we're on a budget, I know ... don't worry."

No ... they're not gonna have anything that fits me and I don't wanna make a fool of myself. Why do you think I always buy online? You can pick anything without having to worry about scornful or worse, pitiful looks from clerks or other clients. When you're a certain size, you just learn to live based on a different standard. Your clothes will cost way more, they'll be less easy to find and less pretty; 99% of the clerks in female clothing shops are thin and skinny, and 99% of them is a haughty little witch that thinks your weight is your own fault and you're disgusting, which, I mean, in a way, is true.

I wish I could say my weight is to blame on genetics or metabolism and whatever, but the truth is, I've just never done anything about it. Of course, genetics does play a role – being born from two chubby people, it's hard to come out incline to thinness –, but it's also true that the years I should have spent shaping my pubescent self into becoming at least skinnier, were instead wasted declaring my undying love for the couch and hiding from, well, pretty much everyone.

Case in point, the moment we entered the shop, I noticed the above-mentioned haughty clerks. More specifically, I caught their bewildered look on their faces when they realize this humpback whale that just entered their domain wasn't alone, but was accompanied by a pretty handsome guy. I don't even think Ben is out of the ordinary in the scale of male beauty, but anyone would look 10 times better when next to me.

"Hello," a blonde super skinny clerk approached us as soon as we stepped into the dresses area, a big fake grin splattered on her white porcelain teeth.

"Oh, hello!" Ben greeted in his usual perky manner, clearly missing the x-ray she did to his body. I guess not being interested in women, he doesn't even notice when they check him out.

"What can I do you for?"

Weird inversion.

"Well, we're looking for a dress for my lovely friend here," Ben pointed at me, which gained me yet another perplexed look from a woman in the same shop, "do you think you can help?"

"Absolutely!" The blondie grinned like a Cheshire cat, and for some reason in my head resonated an 'off with her head!!!' meant to warn me I was going in the wrong direction.