road kill

I run far enough away that I know they aren't going to follow me. I stop when I smell it. Blood. It's fresh, I can tell. I run in the direction of the scent. I stop when it gets really strong. I hide behind a tree. There is a campsite. I hear yelling. I turn on my super hearing.

"I have garlic!"

"Sorry hun, this isn't a cheap film." I can tell by the voice that it's Aspen. I don't feel any hatred towards her anymore. Maybe we can be the no humanity buddies. Who knows it might be fun.

I step around the tree as quiet as I can be but I accidentally snap a stick with my foot. Aspen turns her head and looks at me. She smiles, big. I can see that her mouth is dripping with blood. She can tell I'm not the same.

"Oh my god! You can help me! She killed my husband!" I look over at the tent the lady pointed at and I can tell from the bloody handprint on the side that she did in fact kill her husband. I look back at the lady and she is running at me now. Aspen just stands there and lets her. She knows that I ain't no normal vampire anymore.

The lady falls into my arms.

"Help me!" I look down at her hand covered in blood gripping my arm.

"You got blood on my favourite shirt." Her face goes white.

I can hear the blood rushing through her veins. I can smell the blood on her hands. The blood that I'm assuming is her husbands. All I can do is look at her neck. I can't take my eyes off it.  I look her straight in the eyes and say, "I'll help you." I bite into her neck. I taste the warm fresh blood as I drink her. It tastes so good. I drink her till there is no more to drink. I let her body fall to the ground. Her skin is white because she has no more blood left in her body. I never want to change back. Fresh blood straight from the tap tastes so much better.

I lick my lips and look at Aspen. She is still smiling.

"Well..." I say.

"I've changed."

"I see that."

She spins in a circle and then walks closer to me.

"Do you want to have some fun?" She says and lifts her arms.

"Hell yes."

~~~~~

Aspen and I walk for a while. It's actually kind of nice. We stop at this road.

"Go lay in the middle of the road."

"What why?" I ask. Seriously this doesn't make any sense. 

"We're hunting."

This makes more sense now. I walk into the middle of the road and lay down.

I lay there for about ten minutes.

"Seriously, how long does this take?" I'm losing patience

"Shut up, there's a car coming. Play dead."

Aspen crawls back behind a tree and I close my eyes and spread my arms out beside me.

I hear the car come closer and slow down to a stop. I hear the door open and a person get out.

"Oh my god, are you okay?!" They sound so panicked. Like they were the one who hit me.

I open my eyes and stand up slowly. I put weight on my right leg. I just want to mess with them.

"Let me take you to the hospital," the man says.

I stand up all the way, but I'm still leaning on my right leg. I pretend to limp over to the man.

"Oh I'm not the one that's going to need the hospital." He looks confused.

I look him straight in the eyes and say, "Don't make a sound." Then I bite into his neck. I feel Aspen rush up on the other side of him and start to drink him. I let go and look up to the sky. I run my tongue along my fangs and look at Aspen. She is holding his body up.

"Help me get him in the car," she says.

I helped her lift the man and put him in the driver's seat. After that we walk down the road into the sunrise.