Chapter 14

It's been days since they came back from the trip to New York. Back in Japan Karissa wasn't as jetlagged as the first time but they had skipped a whole day on the way back. It was the disadvantage of crossing so many time zones. Karissa and Seto continued with their boss – assistant relationship as it was but they both knew what happened was an absolute game-changer. Their professional interaction was tight as a string. The words and feelings couldn't be taken back, and it was getting harder and harder to abstain from them. Karissa hadn't pushed the topic about the visions and their connection indeed trusting him. Seto was surprised by that, no one had shown such faith in him. Seto didn't know if it were due to their ancient connection or not, but his feelings for her grew ever stronger. It was a struggle every time he saw her not to get her into his arms and never let her go. In his tries to withhold himself, Seto kept his distance from her, only interacting for work purposes.

It wasn't any less easy for Karissa to keep her professional image on while her thoughts went back to that kiss in Central Park. Seto had blown her away, the experience was like nothing she'd ever encountered. Karissa had spent her whole life on the rational side, using her intellect to gain more and more knowledge. Her only relationship had been awkward and short-lived. However, Seto had awoken parts in her Karissa didn't know they existed. He had set her whole being to life and now, she was craving for more – for these feelings, for the passion... Karissa needed it all. Karissa couldn't explain why but she trusted him despite the fact he hadn't explained as of yet about the visions they saw. It sounded so irrational but something inside her told her she could believe him. Their relationship confused her, it thrilled her and frightened her at the same time.

Their feelings, however, were far from platonic. Quite on the contrary, there was deep sexual tension between Seto and Karissa. It was a long day at work, Karissa hadn't seen much of her boss lately. It was as if he was trying to avoid her. That left a bitter taste in her mouth, after getting so close in New York. Yet his eyes said otherwise from the times Karissa had seen him.

Karissa was staying late in the office, having some unfinished work she wished to complete before going home, having no idea her boss was still here. Karissa hadn't glimpsed him all day as a matter of fact. She deduced he might be busy somewhere else, that wasn't out of the ordinary.

Karissa tried so very hard to resist all her feelings and emotions, seeing he kept his distance, but it was a real challenge when seeing him every day and the look in his eyes... The man was all power and passion, and mystery. He was an enigma himself. Karissa saw the mixed feelings in his own eyes too as if contemplating what to do, every time resisting his own desires. New York was a dream, a fairy tale that would never happen. It was simply impossible, she was a nobody, Karissa couldn't be with one of the richest men on the planet even in her wildest dreams. Karissa had just finished when the door to his office suddenly opened and they both froze in place. It was late and they were completely alone. She gulped, scanning how his tailor-made suit fit his perfect body.

Seto had been avoiding Karissa for a while now. The morning he had spent in meetings and being away from Kaiba Corp. His inner turmoil was killing him. Seto's main reason to keep his distance from her was to stop himself from doing something impulsive. It didn't matter if it were due to his own emotions or the beast in him, Seto couldn't resist this for too long. He had stayed late working, the whole building had to be empty by this time except for security. Seto shut down everything and took his briefcase ready to go home. When he opened the door to his office, he stopped dead in his tracks. Karissa was still here, at her desk.

"It's getting late, why aren't you home?" Seto asked with this deep, rich voice of his.

"I had some work to finish, sir." she tried to calm her voice.