Chapter 9

Seto had finally learnt the truth behind his split personality but hadn't shared it with anybody. He was uncertain of what to do about it. Every time he saw Mokuba, he thought about what the gods said – if he didn't prove himself, he'd be lost to the dragon. This worried him. He had fought all his life to protect his brother, always be the best... giving his humanity in the meantime. After the revelation was made, his dreams were ceasing to a stop. And very unlike him, Seto had decided to take a day off and work from home. He required some well-needed rest after months of so little sleep. Mokuba found it very surprising to see Seto home when he woke up but was glad his brother had decided to take some care of himself. The truth was very different but Seto couldn't tell him the real reason.

For the first time in ages, Seto woke up after a full night's sleep. Once he was done with his morning routine, Seto went for breakfast. He had his usual coffee and by the insistence of Mokuba, Seto had to eat a full breakfast.

"You know, it's good sitting just like that the two of us. I missed spending time with you Seto. You're always busy and overworking yourself, I've been so worried about you." Mokuba admitted, no joking this time.

"I decided I need a break but it's only for today," Seto replied reluctantly.

"I wish you could do this more often; I hardly ever see you; you know?" Mokuba almost shouted accusingly.

In a fit of anger, Mokuba finished his breakfast and left for school without saying another word. Seto sighed and put the fork down. Seto had done everything to protect his little brother and give him a better life. How was he supposed to prove himself? How was he supposed to save himself from becoming the dragon? Having lost his appetite, Seto left the dining room and went for his office.

The mansion was huge, it had all kinds of facilities. Seto had his private study too where he worked from home too. Seto turned on his laptop and began with his tasks for the day. There were some deals he needed to go through.

Karissa was at work, surprisingly her boss had called her late the night before he won't be coming the next day. It was a surprise; Karissa hadn't heard from anyone around here that their boss took any days off for no reason. He still wanted her to be available all day in case he needed something from her. Without doing errands for him, Karissa spent a lot more time on her desk than usual. When lunch came, Karissa went downstairs into the canteen along with the other employees of Kaiba Corp. Karissa had befriended some of them, like the friendly receptionist and other guys, there were still too many of them working there to know them all. She went to their table to join them.

"Is it true Mr Kaiba ain't here today?" Jamie fired his question at her.

"I haven't seen him come," Nat, the receptionist added.

"No, he's not here," Karissa confirmed.

"Wow, that's a first. So, tell us, what is it to be working for and with him all the time?" they were all curious.

"Well, it's okay I guess." Karissa didn't want to share too many details of some of their encounters.

"Oh, come on, he's not the easiest person to get along with if you know what I mean. How do you manage that?" they were always trying to get some inside gossip to talk between themselves.

"He really isn't that bad to work with. Now can we drop the topic, please?" Karissa wanted to change the subject.

The others decided to have mercy on her and drop this for now. The talk soon changed to little gossips about their colleagues. They couldn't help laughing at some very funny events or noticing some weird fashion choices. Kaiba Corp had its dress code so they were all obliged to wear suits and all, preferably dark. Karissa had a bit of a different style but Seto Kaiba had never complained, probably approving of having his assistant standing out a bit. Karissa was professional enough of course, just with a little more of a fashion taste than the ugly regular one. Their lunch was over, and Karissa went back to work.