Chapter 3

As soon as the position was announced, dozens of applications flooded in Kaiba Corp. Roland had his plate full of not just his regular work but going through each application individually. Most of them were insufficient, so Roland had to sift them out one by one. Out of the selected ones, some of them had made an impression on Roland and decided his boss would be interested to check them out. Roland had all the information stored on an external drive ready to show to Mr Kaiba. Roland crossed the endless halls and floors of Kaiba Corp reaching its very top where the CEO's office was located. Roland went to the double doors and knocked before hearing his boss's voice telling him to come in. Mr Kaiba looked even worse. Roland didn't dare comment on this but knew he wasn't the only one who had noticed it. The lack of sleep was too evident, his boss was tired.

"Sir, I have the files of the candidates I considered appropriate for the position. Would you like to go over them now?" Roland began.

"Yes, give me the drive," Kaiba ordered.

Roland brought the device to his boss and stepped back. Seto inserted it into his computer and opened the information provided by his right-hand man. His brain processed information at a remarkable speed. It didn't take him long to go over the people Roland had selected. At least someone knew how to do their job.

"Good, run another background check. I don't want surprises like the time with Zigfried, am I clear?" Seto had a very bitter memory of that time.

Zigfried was a pathetic loser who had always envied him. The Schroeder Corp was still no match for Kaiba Corp. Seto did his best to forget he existed but still kept an eye on what Zigfried was up to. As the saying went, he had to keep his enemy closer.

"Yes, sir. They will be all checked individually before they're called for an interview." Roland assured him.

Seto was scanning through the last ones when one girl got his attention. She had a degree in Artificial Intelligence, AI for short. That was impressive yet she had applied for a personal assistant job. That clearly intrigued Seto. She was either a fraud or someone really desperate. Seto wanted to make sure which one.

"Do check more into this one, I want to be sure of this woman's reasons for applying." Seto showed the profile to Roland.

"Right away, sir." Roland took back his drive and went back to the team to do another check on everyone.

Seto couldn't help but be suspicious. There had always been someone trying to sabotage him or try to have an advantage over him. Assuming he did hire an assistant, this person would know way too much. Kaiba had to be extremely cautious and perfectly certain before taking any action. Once this was settled down, Seto tried getting back to his work. The truth was, he had barely a couple of hours of sleeping for the past three-four days. Maybe more, Seto didn't know anymore. His workdays, on the contrary, just grew longer. Seto already had three coffees and several painkillers but his head was killing him. He was completely unable to focus this way. His lids closed by themselves and his head fell onto the desk.

"He was having a dream again. Since all the craziness around, his head wasn't in his right mind anymore. This time, however, Seto wasn't in Ancient Egypt. The place was strange, somehow... otherworldly. Seto was trying to find his way when a voice spoke from the unknown.

"Seto... Seto" the voice was calling to him.

"Who is it?" Seto asked heading aimlessly forward.

"Seto, your fate rests up to you." Something was getting closer to him. Seto strained his eyes to see but the figure was too blurry. Little by little, it got the form of a woman. Seto was having a déjà vu feeling. Her features were unclear but Seto was sure it was the same voice that had been calling up to him. What did she mean by his fate rested up to him? All of a sudden, the girl was joined by a monster. The Blue-Eyes White Dragon took shape beside her, ready to blast him. What was wrong with him actually? It was the same beast that served and protected his doppelganger and Kisara, why act so fiercely against Kaiba? He was angry about something but what? The girl spoke again completely ignoring the dragon beside her.