Chapter 12

The next two days went rather fast. Their main task was to be in the company and Karissa hadn't seen much of New York yet. Although, her boss invited her to dinner both nights and wouldn't even let her talk about the bills. Seto Kaiba was influential to say the least, even if she tried to object on that accord, he wouldn't hear a thing. It was nice going out with him and everything. Their stay here was almost over and with the weekend fast approaching, Karissa had a feeling his representative here might do something of a formal party. They were finished earlier for the day with plenty of time to spare. Mr Howard came to them just when they were ready to leave.

"Mr Kaiba, I'm pleased to announce tomorrow evening we're hosting a reception in your honour," Mr Howard was beaming.

"Very well," Seto replied indifferently.

He wasn't exactly the party type, usually, these gatherings were extremely boring and annoying. Seto glanced at Karissa, she was going to be present for sure. At least with her around Seto would have something to occupy his mind with. Actually, if he kept her close and was lucky enough, Seto might even avoid all the harpies on a hunt to bag themselves with a rich husband. That was one of the most annoying parts honestly, Seto hated them. They took their leave going towards the lift. Seto recalled to let Karissa know she's coming too.

"Karissa, I want you to attend the reception with me," Seto spoke getting her attention.

"Um, yes, of course..." Karissa bit her lip nervously.

"Is there a problem?" Seto asked noticing her unusually anxious behaviour.

"I..." Karissa hesitated. "I don't think I'm suited for this kind of event." Came her reply to Seto's dismay.

What had gotten into her head? She could put to shame all the women on that stupid reception. What was she so worried about? Seto furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. Then it dawned on him, her concern was about what to wear. Girls fussed around such unimportant details. Karissa was worried she wouldn't be suitably dressed for that silly party.

"It's not about the clothes, is it?" Seto asked having a feeling he was on the right track.

"I... I don't think I have anything appropriate for an event like that," Karissa admitted at last.

So, Seto had been right. Women and their insecurities. There was a very easy solution to this problem. Seto glanced at his watch, it was early afternoon, plenty of time for what he had in mind.

"Well then, you haven't seen much of New York, I say it's a good time for a city tour," Karissa looked at him in confusion.

A city tour. Where did that come from? They exited the company building heading for the limo. Seto told his driver to just drive around, heading for Manhattan. Karissa was yet to understand his intentions but decided on looking around for now. It was as good a tour as any. Going slower around wasn't a problem, the traffic was ever heavy. After a while, they eased in the direction of the most popular district in NYC.

"Go to Fifth Avenue," Seto spoke all of a sudden.

Karissa knew this was the most famous street in New York and one of the most elegant and expensive ones in the world. So, what were they doing there? Wait, he wasn't thinking of doing this, was he? Karissa tried to study her boss's face unsuccessfully. He had this poker face expression and knew damn well he'd get it his way. Finally, they reached their destination and Seto motion to the driver.

"Stop somewhere here, we'll continue walking from here. I'll call you when and where to pick us up," Seto ordered.

"Yes, sir," the driver replied while finding a spot to park.