________________________________________

From the moment that Meredith crossed the inn's doorstep, she knew that something was not right. Call it a sixth sense or a gut feeling, she sensed something was about to happen, something that made the skin on her neck prickle unpleasantly.

She quickly chastised herself in her thoughts for being utterly silly. She was just going paranoid. Or megalomaniac. It wasn't even her day, it was Cristina's birthday. And yet... the furtive glances and knowing smiles were most definitely not a figment of her imagination.

There were so many people inside already... She halted to survey the room. Was she late or had she just mixed up the time?

"Cristina!" she shouted and waved at her friend noticing her black-haired head amongst the sea of guests.

"Mer!" Cristina nodded at her, gesturing that she was coming.

"What's going on?" Meredith asked, glancing around. "I thought I was supposed to come early to help you? It looks like everything's ready."

"Yeah, I guess I forgot to tell you we were starting earlier. But good thing you're here, we can rock this party!"

Meredith's eyes narrowed suspiciously as she observed her best friend. "Are you feeling okay? Have you drunk anything last night or today?"

Cristina gave out a nervous laughter and rolled her eyes. "You're so funny! Now, lose this," she ordered taking her present from Meredith's hands and placing it on the heap with other gifts. Then she dragged her to one of the tables in the center and pushed her to sit down. "Here. Everyone!" she hollered, in order to be heard over the noise. "We're starting!"

To Meredith's surprise, everyone bustled to take a seat at the assigned table, at the bar, against the wall. Cristina threw herself in the chair next to Meredith's, startling the latter enough to jump up.

"What's gotten into to you?" Meredith cringed. "And who's that for?" she asked pointing at the gap between herself and Izzie created by two unoccupied chairs.

"Special guests," Cristina replied vaguely but almost immediately, Meredith learnt the answer to her question. Her mouth gasped open in horror and her eyes widened as Derek suddenly took the chair next to her, his mother at his other side. In the corner of her eye, she noticed his sister, brother and the red head plopping nearby.

Meredith pressed her palms against the table to push her seat away and tried to stand up but she was firmly blocked by both Derek and Cristina. Her head whirled sideways at breakneck speed. "How could you?" she gasped, painful reproach evident in her voice and eyes.

Cristina was shameful enough to cast down her eyes.

"Not her fault," Derek said quickly, grabbing Meredith's hand atop of the table. "I butted my way in."

"Somehow I don't doubt that," Meredith remarked quietly and slid her fingers out of his grasp, bringing them bashfully to her lap. Her cheeks flushed, she thought her sharp intake of air was heard in the farthest corners of the room but she couldn't stop her reaction when Derek's thigh pressed into hers. Her bare skin clearly felt the heat of his body radiating through the smooth material of his slacks.

Her whole body went instantly rigid. Trying to appear unaffected, she ever so slowly, millimeter by millimeter, moved her leg away, praying he wouldn't notice. No such luck. Sending her a tiny knowing wink, he rubbed his knee against her thigh.

"How can you be doing this to me?" she hissed at him. "I thought we had an understanding."

"And what exactly am I doing to you?" he asked as if they were discussing a medical issue, interlocking his hands on the table.