Chapter 2: Second Strike Of Lightning

"Mer!" Cristina waved at her from the threshold of the inn. "You didn't come over last night. The phones were down. I thought you were abducted by aliens, bitch!" Fearing alien abduction was equal to worrying in the innkeeper's vocabulary.

"Sorry," she sighed apologetically and shut the door of her jeep. "I came back late from the Ramirez. The labor went on and on."

"What did that woman push out of herself this time?"

"Boy again, a healthy strong boy."

"Crap," grumbled Cristina. "Another stupid loser with a penis. That makes 79 total of them."

"Speaking of losers," smiled Meredith, relaxed, closing her eyes to bask her face in the morning sun. "You just won't believe what happened on my way back."

"You saw the light moving across the sky," quipped Cristina.

"I'd wish," said Meredith with a roll of her eyes. "Even for an army of aliens. But no, I picked a guy from the road."

Cristina slapped her on the back in the gesture of appreciation. "Just when I think you're boring, you rise!"

Meredith decided to ignore the insinuation. "It was a real downpour, I was taking the shortcut, when a guy jumps practically in front my jeep. A guy in Versace suit and some slick sports car!"

"Seriously?" Cristina cackled with laughter. "You're a magnet for weirdos."

"Tell me about it," she groaned. "He wanted me to drive him here so I thought - why not? He looked harmless except the stick up his ass. Only later he called this place a goddamn hole and practically said he wouldn't say no to a good old roll in the hay with me."

Cristina laughed so hard she pressed her palms on her stomach. She knew well enough any attempts to romance Meredith would have to end up bad for the so called cultprit. "Gosh, he dug his own grave. Get to the good part already and tell me what you did to him. Spare no details."

"I left him at the gas station thinking he was going to get lucky, kicked his precious baggage in the rain and drove away."

Cristina went on laughing. "You left him 30 miles away from here in the dead of night? In the raging storm?"

"Sure I did," answered Meredith proudly. "Hopefully that will teach him some lesson."

"God, I'd love to see his face," she bit her lips shaking her head and suddenly fixed her eyes on the car that halted on the other side of the street and the man who just got off. "How did he look?"

"How did he look?" Meredith scrunched her face pensively. "Ugh, not too ugly-"

"Too much black hair? About 5 ft. 9? Crooked nose?"

"Yeah, how do you..."

"Behind you," pointed Cristina.

Meredith whirled around almost expecting to bump into him but he was at a safe distance across the street.

"That's him?" inquired Cristina.

"Yup, that's the asshole," she murmured, the evil grin returning full force.

"Yup," nodded Cristina. "That would explain that disheveled look... as well as the death glare."

Laughter erupted in Meredith's throat. Those were the little moments in life to relish... Derek the-big-city guy looked like he'd just spent the worse night of his life.

"You sure it was Versace on him?" asked Cristina with a hint of pity.

"Positive. Saw the tag."

"Well, you wouldn't even wipe a table with it now."