Chapter 43

"Derek, I must say I was not expecting that," Jenkins said while perusing a file Derek had presented to him that morning.

Derek stifled any sign of impatience that threatened to show on his face. One false move and he would blow it. "I was away from the hospital but I didn't waste my time."

"You were never interested in this kind of work."

"Unfortunately. I'd like to have a go..." he hesitated briefly, "while my career still allows it." Jenkins always admitted openly that he wanted Derek to take over when he retired. Of course, Derek's plans changed drastically in the course of the last few months but he surely wasn't going to announce it to the chief. He needed to stay on his good side as long as possible.

"You really wanna do this...? A molecular therapy..." Jenkins sighed pensively. "I don't remember these viruses ever being used..."

"Exactly," Derek nodded enthusiastically. "No one has ever tried that. Think about all the publicity and prestige it can bring the hospital when it works."

Jenkins shifted in his seat, it was evident Derek struck the right notes. "You'd have to start everything from scratch, establish maximum tolerated doses-"

"I know the drill," interrupted Derek. "I know what I'm signing up for."

"Malignant gliomas always recur, they're nearly always fatal-" argued Jenkins though it was clear he was more and more convinced to approve.

"What if we have the solution?" Derek smiled confidently. "What if we can prevent or at least inhibit the recurrence?"

"Do you really believe that?" Jenkins impressed on him.

"I do," he answered without hesitation.

"Then let's do this."

________________________________________

It was incredible how the two months away from the hospital broke the routine of his life, and of his work. By the lunchtime, Derek was almost dead on his feet. He was tired, hungry and cranky after a morning in the ER, several consults and an emergency surgery. As a result he practically devoured the cafeteria food he had always complained about as being crappy and unhealthy.

"So you're the chief's wonder boy again," Mark said joining him at the table with Addison. "Saw you walking out of his office, his ugly mug was elated."

Derek shrugged, he was slightly disgusted with himself for the games he was forced to play. He could only imagine the extent of Jenkins's fury when he learned he was going to quit altogether.

"So, we thought we could get dinner together some day," Mark went on. "Me, Addison and you, and Addie could bring one of her sexy friends for you-"

"No," Derek said a bit more harshly than he intended. But just the sole thought of being set up with some woman sent chills down his spine. He cleared his throat, "I mean, thanks but I'm kind of swamped with work. My department's a mess."

"You can spare an evening... Or maybe an hour or two for a drink at Joe's?"

Derek cringed inwardly. A bar with all the intoxicated women making a pass at him, he didn't need that back in his life. "Mark, my schedule is impossible."

"Oh, come on!" Mark started to protest. "Seriously-"

"Mark, could you get me more salad?" Addison cut in pushing her plate at him.

"Okay," he sighed and went to obey her request.

"He needs you," Addison said suddenly when they were left alone at the table.