Chapter 12: The Eye of the Storm

Derek took another gulp of his ice tea, getting comfortable in the leather chair in his uncle's... no, his office. The full sun made the room glow brightly while air conditioning pleasantly cooled his skin. It was a very slow day. He had only one patient, Meredith had zero. Well, she had one if he included a pregnant cat. He almost laughed his head off when a girl in her early teens brought the cat, expecting Meredith to deliver the kittens. Of course he let his amusement out in the solitude of his office so as not to offend anyone or piss Meredith off. She took all her patients very seriously. She explained the girl very patiently that it was not the time for the little ones to come and when the time was right, the kittens would come without her help.

Yeah, working at the practice was fun, he remarked with surprise. Apart from the incredible and hilarious situations, he could just... rest. Drink his coffee, or rather ice coffee, sit in peace, gather his thoughts, chat with Meredith or Izzie. The unhurried pace was filling him with a sort of blissful serenity. He wouldn't have believed a few weeks back if someone had told him he'd enjoy working anywhere else than in the bustling hospital. Of course, he still missed the scalpel like hell. But he felt entitled to have a little summer fling with the practice. He would go back to his true love, surgery, in two months.

Meanwhile, he could enjoy the baseball game he was supposed to go with Mark and which he was now relating to him over the phone.

"Mark, move it faster!" he grumbled as he missed another good action. They were having a video connection and thanks to Mark he could follow the game live.

"I'm not your fucking servant, Derek!"

Mark was still very clearly pissed at him for staying in Rachel as well as for asking him to send Derek some of his clothes from New York. He hoped they'd arrive soon. His current wardrobe had shrunk considerably, some of his best shirts and pants he brought with him were no longer of any use.

"Yes!" Derek whooped with the stadium as the Yankees scored. "Beautiful!"

"You sure you're still a Yankee boy?" snickered Mark. "Maybe you have turned to Texas Rangers."

"I'm not in Texas, Mark, I'm in Nevada. And I'm a Yankee boy through and through," Derek rolled his eyes. "I'm offended with your remark- Keep the phone straight!"

Mark muttered something about fucking princesses under his breath but obeyed his request.

"Just like that!" he gasped as the hitter sent the ball flying high and far. His eyes nervously followed the player circling the bases. "Yes! Come on, come on! Faster! Yes, yes!"

Suddenly, the door to his office opened startling him enough to drop his phone onto his lap.

UNDER THE NIGHT SKY

Meredith flipped her phone shut and got to her feet, pulling off her lab coat. A house call coming up, just perfect to break the monotony of the day. She should probably take Derek along, she thought briefly as she went to the lobby. He wasn't popular with anyone in the town and he should start to warm up to the people if he really intended to stay for these two months.

She stopped before his door, her hand raised in the air ready to knock in case he was with a patient and... then she heard it. A muffled grunt through the door...

"Just like that! Yes! Come on, come on! Faster! Yes, yes!"

Her mouth hung wide open in shock. What the hell was he doing? Well, she had a pretty good idea. She felt ripples of anger inside her, did he picked up some whore and was shamelessly doing her in the office?

"Iz, is Dr. Shepherd seeing a patient?" she asked dryly.

"Not that I know of," shrugged the blonde. "But I went to make coffee a couple of minutes ago so someone might have come in that time."