36: infamous affairs

Start from the beginning

(Last day.
At The headquarters.
6:00 pm)

Jeongguk and Jeffery had a meeting with Officer Bails, as informed, but rather than getting some sort of information or clue, all they got was a hinted-advise of not being adamant to call it a murder.
Officer Bails had hit around the bushes the entire meeting but Jeongguk said it straight and clear, once they were out, "they want us to declare it a suicide."

It bothered them, yes. But they were positive that it was a murder.
The CCTV footage proved it all.
When the surveillance was checked, that of the-staircase - leading to Nathaniel's floor, they spotted an elderly woman- Beth, carrying two glasses and a  Macallan Sherry Oak bottle, intact.

Jeongguk had felt a sense of pride, and they checked all the cameras leading from the staircase to the kitchen and the cellar. They left no nook and corner unchecked.

Upon interrogating the house staff, they discovered that the cellar had no camera inside it, though it had one facing the south door, and it was enough to ensure who went in and out of the cellar.
Beth was a trusted servant at the Wrethmeir Mansion since a few decades. Even her deceased daughter had worked at the mansion.
They didn't feel it right to pressure the elder woman too much and accepted whatever she told them without a bargain, including how the maids sometimes dislocate the cameras, at the time of weekly dusting, and that they do not indulge themselves with those 'ceiling's electronic-eyes' , as she calls them, because they once ended up damaging one such expensive cctv.

But the officers didn't let the deal with security -head slide that easily.
The thing that bothered was 'how come did they not notice one of the cameras facing the wrong side?!'

William looked like a psychic wolf once he discovered about the loophole in his security system.

They don't know how he dealt with his security-head later, but it seemed as if he'd chop his head off ,once they left the headquarters.

The next person to enter Nathaniel's room after Beth was none other than William.
He accepted that himself let alone the staircase surveillance's proof stated the same.
But when asked about the bottle, he looked perplexed.

"The bottle Mr Wrethmeir,  the scotch whiskey that he was drinking. "

"I dont exactly remember spotting a bottle in the room. The drink was poured before I even reached there." Such a diplomatic answer indeed.

For a businessman he surely had a poor memory. It made Jeongguk question himself when he opined the said man as an observer.
Either he was hiding or he genuinely didn't know.

And when he was speaking about the bottle, he truly looked confused as if was clueless about the whole bottle libretto. Or he simply was a natural, at pretension.

It was now necessary to find the bottle. Or at least some way from where the poison had been obtained.
And to a great relief or a greater headache, the report associated with Nathaniel's recent business and purchases clearly listed the order of Strychnine import from Khader Enterprises-offering powdered strychnine directly from  Mumbai, India.
The export from India was legal, but it definitely needed some very high international connections and money ofcourse. Nathaniel had them both, in excess.
The relief in this was, poison was ordered. And that too, was delivered in the mansion itself.
The headache was, the purchase was dealt under Nathaniel's name.