48: Rip Off

dedicated to @harman7890 

(:~_~_~_~_~_~ :)

Voices are muffled. Just like the way it feels under water. Submerged and down weighed, your mind succumbing to the surrounding darkness, already losing the battle without a fight. Already relieving to the waters as it consumes you at your de minimis will.

That's how Janice feels. Welcoming the bullet was her last choice, but facing it eyes-closed wasn't. She could hear her heartbeat but wasn't sure how long it'll last. Beth's en swathed shriek resonates in her ears as the trigger is pulled and the gunshot reverberates, matching the erratic rhythm of her heart. Her heart clenches as tears brim her eyes. Her breathing turns spasmodic as she gasps for more air. 

The chaos in her surrounding, Beth's screams, William's groans and few other hustled voices in distance, all a faint whisper now, as she tries to stand still. Only to have the growing anguish in her chest make fall short of any stability. She could feel her lungs contracting, just the way she used to in times of a panic attack.

She wishes to have taken her meds in the morning. But would they've been of any help against a bullet?

No more being able to stand still, her balance staggers as her head quavers in prostration. Feeling the ground shake beneath her feet, she perishes herself to her fate.

She waits for the ground to meet her collapsing body, as she catches a blurred glimpse of William kneeling on the floor, shouting in agony. More footsteps are heard as they rush towards her. Or him, she isn't sure. The last thing she remembers before the darkness engulfs her is him.

Jeon Jeongguk.

The cops rush down the corridor and surround William, aiming their guns at him as he clutches his leg like his life depended on it. One cop forces him on his fours and he cries in ebullition, falling on to the floor on his stomach, blood seeping out his knee.

The cop from before, latches his hands behind his back in metal handcuff, ignoring all his violent protests. Blood oozes out from his wrist and an agonizing shout erupts his throat.

Jeongguk holds Janice in his arm. Grunting, he kneels down, supporting half her weight on his lap, coaxing her to wake up. But all he gets in return is her unconsciousness and belittled silence.

He had rushed into the mansion when he'd heard Beth shriek. To say that the sight before him left him breathless would be an understatement. When, in the morning, she'd told him to reach the mansion with force, he didn't imagine seeing William pointing a gun at her.

No matter how quick he'd tried to be or how swiftly he'd shot William in his knee and wrist using his silencer, William had already pulled his trigger. And now, there she was, in his arms. Fighting against her fate.

He checks for her pulse and feels relieved to find it subtle enough for survival. He then removes her coat to look for her wound. A dirty-broad trail of blood ran down from her shoulder blade, staining her dark blouse.