Home is where the heart is

***Elaynnah***

I clutched the letter to my chest happily. I was smiling so much that it hurt. When I sent Tristin the letter I really wasn't expecting one back. None the less I was ecstatic that he decided to write me back.

"Your daddy is so sweet," I smiled down at Kenzie. 

I placed the letter on my bedside table carefully as I got up. I knew I had to write back soon. Something about the letters just made me feel closer to him. I knew we could have emailed each other or sent a text but this just seemed more personal. The knowledge that this was something that he had held made my stomach explode with excited butterflies.

I pulled a piece of paper out of my desk drawer before grabbing a large book and pen before going back to my bed to write him back. I felt like a silly school girl as I scribbled the words on the piece of paper but the overwhelming feeling of happiness made it all worth while.

Once I finished the letter I decided that I would take Kenzie to the mall so we could pick out a gift for Tristin. I knew this year she wouldn't have much input but she would next year. I quickly got us both ready before heading for the door. I slipped the letter in the mailbox before buckling Kenzie's car seat into the back of my car.

The mall was busy which really didn't surprise me considering how close to Christmas it actually was. I weaved through the crowds until I found the store I was looking for.  I knew Tristin a whole lot better this Christmas than last year so I had a better idea of what to get for him. It was strange to think that this time last year Thistin and I had just begun to talk. So much had happened since then. We had been through a lot of situations. A breakup, a death, a baby, a move. Last year just seemed so distant now.

I looked at the shelves carefully mulling over the choices. I knew Tristin had a soft side and a meaningful gift was definitely the way to go. I stopped at a box that held a dog tag and a ring in the shape of a heart that looked like it was cut directly from the metal dog tag. I smiled as I read the inscription. 'I carry your heart' was scrolled across the dog tag and 'with me' on the ring. It was definitely a perfect fit for us. I picked up the box and continued looking around. Hey if Tristin could be cheesy so could I.

Truth was I was starting to miss him more and more these days. I knew deep down I should just accept his offer and move in with him but I also knew I would feel guilty if he put us above his schooling. I was stuck between a rock and a hard place. The more time that we were apart the more doubt that seemed to flood my mind. What if he was just doing this because of Kenzie? I mean really a lot of people would think I trapped him. We were so young and had our whole lives ahead of us and now he was stuck with me because of our little girl.

I sighed to myself as I shook the thoughts away from my mind. I knew Tristin loved me for me I was just over thinking things now.

***Tristin***

I knew I should be in school right now but I really couldn't miss this opportunity. I walked around the empty room and smiled. This was perfect.

"So what do you think?" My grandmother asked happily.

"Honestly I think its amazing," I smiled at her. "But this just seems out of reach. I mean I'm eighteen the bank won't give me a mortgage."

"Well that's the thing," she breathed quietly capturing my attention. "This was left to you by your parents when they passed away. They had two properties that they rented out and left one to each you and Chloe. The money they earned was put into a separate account for your grandfather and I to look after until you were old enough," she explained. "The tenants for your house moved out at the beginning of the month. The house is payed off and is yours to decided what to do with."

"This is incredible," I breathed. "Its perfect." I hugged my grandmother happily. This news just took a whole weight off of my chest.

I looked around the room once again. The floors were a deep rich hardwood, the windows were large and up to date and the rooms were spacious. There was no doubt in my mind that Elaynnah would love it and when she was ready this would become our home. I smiled to myself at the thought. I couldn't wait to start my life with Elaynnah.