Chapter 22

"So let me get this straight, you want me to go dress up?"

"Yes"

"But" I paused and spent seconds thinking of all I remembered but nothing came through. Literally, nothing. I knew he was talking, I would jump in once in a while and would see his mouth moving and that was it. What I did remember was that he said something about manners and I guess that's where I zoned out. I just couldn't afford to go through all of that "Why?"

"Because I told you to"

"I still don't get it"

"Sunshine, did you pay attention to any of what I said?"

"I don't think so"

"Fine" He sighed "I'm only going to say this one last time and if you don't pay attention, you'll get grounded"

"Umm, not to be rude or anything but I'm eighteen. I'm a grown woman now. A fully matured one"

"Umm, not to be rude or anything but you don't look like one. You don't act like one either"

"I'll walk away_"

"That's not the point, we're both having diner at the Sullivan's tonight and you need to look good on your own"

"First, what do you mean look good on my own? I have a taste too"

"Let me rephrase that, I need you to not wear sweats and a hoodie"

"Leggings?"

"You're going to wear a dress, like the normal lady I need you to be. I wonder where you got this, I had an exquisite taste in fashion when I was your age"

"Have you met your wife?"

"They're a lot of dresses in there, just pick one that isn't too revealing."

"So you want me to have dinner at the Susan's"

"Sullivan's"

"And that's supposed to be my punishment? How did we even get into this conversation?"

"You'll understand how it's your punishment when you get there"

"I thought you were meant to go back home, why did you come back at the first place?"

He looked up, brought his fingers up to his chin and stroked it repeatedly. Right from that moment, I realised nothing good was going to be the reason but that wasn't the problem. I'd gone through just enough in the previous days to go have dinner with people I don't know. If there was one thing I'd grown to learn at that point of my life, it was that meeting people wasn't the best thing for me. First, I went to a party and met a bunch of people which I thought wouldn't be that bad till Alex came into the topic. Then I met Lucas, a sweet charming French boy, I realized he was hiding something from me and that thing just coincidentally happened to be connected with the one girl that isn't the best person to me, Alex.

Need I remind you that everything that happened was just in a span of three days, three days people, three.

Now a dinner with the Susan's? No. For all I knew I could meet another Alex there or someone else with a worse attitude and did the sake of a dinner, I would have to risk my reputation once more. I had just enough with the whole meeting famous people and acting all fancy. As stupid as it sounds, all I wanted was to go back to my old high school days where I could ignore people and zone out in class.

Besides, who knew Susan was a last name?

"Wow, Sunshine, wow"

"What?"

"I don't know why I came back"

"But I know why you should leave"

"I'm not leaving till tomorrow and whether or not you like it, you're coming with me"

"What if they have a daughter like Alex?"

"What's so wrong with Alex?"

"Everything"

"Whatever. Go get ready, we'll leave in a few minutes"

"No"

.*.*
I decided to go with the silver heels cause they were the lowest most decent pair of shoes I had in there. I wasn't a big fan of the color green but it was the first dress I found and I couldn't go all search mode for something I definitely wouldn't be comfortable in. It was a simple long sleeved turtleneck dress and the good thing about it was that it had a silky texture kind of material, if that's even a thing. Anyways, I didn't find a silver or green purse so I decided to go with nothing.

My hair went stubborn and wouldn't go straight with a brush. Not that I expected it to so instead of wasting my energy, I tied at the back of my head and wrapped it up in an extremely tight bun to hold it in place. I never understood make up so I didn't bother picking up the foundation when I saw it. Definitely not going to waste hours on that.

At the end, the skies were already dark and the temperature so low, I had to take a coat along. The drive to the Susan's didn't take much time. We didn't take any drivers along, just a car with my father behind the wheels and I next to him. It took only about five minutes to get there. Their house happened to be in the same Estate mine was in. If it was up to me, I would've walked there on my own.

"Dad, I think there's something wrong with the Susan's"

"For the last time, it's Sullivan and since you have a problem with literally everything, tell me, what's so wrong with them?"

"Okay, I might not have the best vision but I'm pretty sure I see a bunch of chickens on their front yard"

"That's their daughter's pets"

"Pets? I don't have anything against chickens but who keeps a chicken as a pet?"

"Harley Sullivan and guess what? Today's your lucky day cause you're finally going to meet her"

I didn't get out of the car willingly, I was pushed out and almost stumbled and fell if I might add. Those were one of the moments I wasn't so thankful for wearing heels. "What if I fell?"

"Simple, you'll rise again. Now, let's get inside before it starts to drizzle again"

The sky did look very dark and the wind was beginning to get harsh so hurriedly, we left the car. It took only a few seconds before we got to the entrance of the building and yes, we went through a bunch of chickens to get there. Dad rung the doorbell and almost immediately, the door was pulled open. When I mean almost immediately, I mean the second the rang that doorbell. It was as if he had been waiting by the door patiently for us.

Well, it could have been a coincidence but right at the back of my head, I knew it didn't feel like it. His chubby figure stood a foot shorter than my father or even more and on his face was the brightest smile I'd ever set my eyes on. Let's not forget he was wearing a T-shirt that almost reached his knees and if it wasn't that his baggy pants was ankle length, I could've had different thoughts. First, a bunch of chickens right in front of their house and now the man was making me feel I walking straight into a kidnap?

Not judging or anything but okay.

"Dylan! Look at you, you're all grown now!" He laughed and smacked him in the arm which looked really painful too. Dad laughed and obviously fake laugh and rubbed his arm in the process.

"We're the same age!"

"Christina!"

I tried my best, I tried my possible best to avoid the arm coming my way. It went in slow motion, the palm was up in the air when I tried to go behind my dad so he would take the pain for me but that moment was when I lived the reality that truly, you couldn't put your trust on anyone. This man moved and finally, I felt the impact.

Then I slipped and fell.