Chapter 36

Christina King

This cannot be happening.

Everything we said about mom not being in the right condition to know about what was happening happened in the worst way it possibly could. She was a few minutes away from labour while being extremely angry with her husband. A matter of over eighteen years before was back up and about to spoil literally everything. I feared my family would get ruined but at that moment, all I wanted was for my mother to deliver her baby without any complications arising as a result of what happened.

The moment it started, she panicked and it caused her to scream at everyone that came in her way. It wasn't just dad, it seemed the anger spread to every single person around him. She didn't let us touch her at first, threatening she would run if anyone went as far as helping her. It was understandable, of course, but it got to a point we couldn't take it anymore cause time was running out and we had only ten to fifteen minutes before she went into labour. The hospital was close to our home but we had to get there early enough. She wasn't understanding that, it was as if she didn't feel the liquid going down her legs. It was difficult to explain things to her cause all she had in her mind was what dad did. Even when he said he was not responsible for it and it was just a lie, she didn't believe it. All she had in her mind was that Alex was her step daughter, Mrs Coleman was a part of the family and everything was about to fall apart. I understood it was something painful to hear and no one would want anyone coming into the family to destroy it but I was worried about the baby in her more than I was about her.

It took minutes to calm her down. Dad had to leave while I explained things to her. She then agreed to stay in the same car as me and have the driver take us. She didn't want dad anywhere near her and we had to respect that decision till she had the baby out of her body. While going, however, dad was driving right behind us. She didn't know it and I tried to keep her attention away from looking back. We were a few minutes away from the hospital when held my hand and asked "Why didn't you tell me?"

Her hand was sweaty in mine, like every other part of her body. It was as if she was finally more aware of the fact she was about to have a baby. Her entire body was sweaty and with the look of it, she looked very uncomfortable, shifting every second.

"I didn't want to hurt you, you're not in the right condition"

"Is that why you came back home without telling anyone?"

"None of what she said is true. What we're looking for is proof to justify that. You trust dad, don't you?"

"Dylan told me nothing happened, he said it was a misunderstanding and he didn't touch her"

"That's because he didn't."

"But what if he did? I'll have to file for a divorce and get custody over you and the ba_"

"No, none of that would happen, I promise you. Everything will be fine, we're not separating. I know none of it is true, Mrs Coleman only said it to threaten me to get Lucas out of my life"

"That's the chef, Lucas is the chef, isn't he?"

"Yes, how did you know that?"

"I hired him"

"Did you know he worked for the Coleman's before?"

"Yes, he told me but I didn't think it would be a problem. I knew his mother, she used to clean the house before she died so I gave him the job to honor her"

"His mom is dead? I thought she had a cafe, he said something like that"

"He didn't lie, she owns one but now his sister runs it"