Cady looked up at her girlfriend. She's never seen Janis that terrified before. Her eyes were open wide, filled with terror, her cheeks were slightly flushed and her whole body was shaking. Up until this point she thought she's seen Janis in any emotion but this... this was new. She rose onto her tip toes to kiss her cheek lightly. "It's going to be okay." She knew it was probably a lie. But telling the truth felt wrong in this moment.

"I will call out for certain street names and whoever gets called please follow the paramedics into the hospital." The major spoke up again.

Their street name was one of the first so Cady and Janis found themselves walking towards the hospital, still clinging onto each other.

They got rushed into the building, tears streaming down their faces until two men in white ropes grabbed Janis by her arms and dragged her away from Cady, while the two paramedics were keeping Cady from following her.

"NO!" Cady cried out. "LET ME GO! JANIS!" She tried to fight against them. Tried to run to her crying girlfriend, shouting her name over and over, telling her that she loves her, until she vanished into another hallway.

She got dragged behind a blue hospital curtain. There she saw another robot, headless, multi-armed like a chrome spider, devices whirring. At the ends of it's arms there were surgical instruments, ready to use. They sat her down on a stool bending her head to the side to give better access to the right side of her neck.

"Hold still." The man said coldly, his voice a little muffled under his mask, as he put the cold numbing liquid on Cadys skin. A drill like device stabbed into her neck making her wince in pain.

"Hold the fuck still!" Hot tears were streaming down her face again as they punched the implant in, followed by a tight squeezing sensation, and then it was in.

The blue light activated and Cady got pushed out into the hallway again.

It was tinted in a murky green by the emergency lights, hanging loosely off the ceiling. The hospital definitely took a big hit during the war and it shows. Whole panels had fallen off of the ceiling, revealing air-conditioning and pipes swaddled in ragged insulation.

She scanned the halls to find Janis. It was full of stooped, sorry figures crying in confusion and pain. Their implants glowing blue as they asked "What is this?" And "What did they do to us?" Some people clawed at their implants trying to rip it out, but failing. One man who rushed past her, almost knocking her over, had found a toolbox and attempted to unscrew it from his neck. as he removed all of the 9 screws he started to pull the now loose implant out.

"NO DON'T! IT WILL-"

The explosion turned the mans head into a mist of brain and pulverized bone. It was a mess of raw flesh, muscle and white exposed skull.

Cady screamed in terror, frozen on the spot, her ears ringing from the blast, her mind unable to comprehend what she's just seen.

Her breath turned into sharp gasps and she felt the room spinning until a pair of arms got tightly wrapped around her.

"Thank god you're alive." Janis breathed as she tangled her hand into Cadys hair.

"Janis he- his- his Head!" Cady was clinging onto Janis like a lifeline, breathing heavily.

"I know, Peanut. I know." She pressed a kiss onto the top of her head. "Let's go home okay?"

Home. What even was her home now? Will they stay together? Does she have to go back to her parents house? She can't do all of this alone. 

The bus ride was quiet. The only sound she could hear was the crying of other people. They were standing, Cady was pressed against Janis and her face buried into her chest. The soothing motion of Janis fingers softly combing through her hair calmed her the tiniest bit. Minutes felt like hours until they got dropped off at Janis doorstep. They went in and their transplant made a silent beeping sound.

So this is her home now.

---

4 years have passed since then and Cady never got used to all of it. The screams at night, the itchy and tugging sensation of her transplant, the blue glow in their dark bedroom, the monitorsation, everything.

The only thing that kept her going was Janis. Her dorky, artistic, cute and loving girlfriend who tries to make the best out of every day. She tried to teach her how to paint and in return Cady tried to teach her math. Both didn't turn out as good as they thought. They cook together, watch the same dvds over and over again and dance to the old records Janis had found in their basement. She was a blessing, and by now Cady couldn't imagine a life without her anymore.

They still lived in fear, and they can't always be strong but at least they had each other. Which also awoke the strong fear of ever losing Janis to the robot empire. She couldn't bare to see Janis getting vaporized heck to even hear about it would break her life into pieces.

Her thoughts were spiraling again until a set of arms gently snaked around Cadys waist as Janis hugged her from behind.

"Hey you." She said softly, smiling back at Cady through the mirror.

"Hi." Cady answered. She's genuinely happy to see her, even though they're with each other 24/7.

"Whatcha thinking about" Janis planted tiny soft kisses onto Cadys neck and shoulder, lightly nibbling at Cadys soft skin.

She turned in Janis arms giggling softly and wrapped her arms around her girlfriends neck. "You?"

"Me, huh?" Janis smirked and leaned down for a kiss.

It was soft and sweet but mind blowing none the less. Cady mumbled a little "Mhm." against her lips before pulling away the tiniest bit.

"Can't go one second without me, can you Heron?"

"Never. And you know that."

"I do indeed."

Cady let out a little squeal as Janis picked her up, connecting their lips again, and carried her to the bedroom. What happened then... well that was a thing between just the two of them. 

Sometimes Cady actually felt bad that the robots could track everything they're doing.

This is it. I hope you're not too mad that I vanished for some time but I'll try to write a little more now. Also: Thanks for 8k reads! That's so cool! I've never thought that so many people would actually enjoy this. Thank you soooo much. I hope you're doing well during this pandemic and stay strong.

As always I hope you liked it, I hope you have an amazing day and until next time, bye.♥️