Chapter 18

"Tseng, I didn't think you'd make it," Dad remarked before he trotted on ahead and got into the car, front seat. Not wanting to waste time, I puffed out the breath of air I had held in and got myself in the back. 

"So you are-"

"Ah, Aura- sorry I meant Aurora, Aurora Reagen." 

A simple hum was given in response to my nervous introduction. I couldn't calm myself down, Tseng, the future leader of the Turks and, embarrassing as it sounds, my fictional crush when I was in my early twenties, was just sitting right in front of me. I mean, I think my heart stopped a little the second dad said his name. He donned a classic black suit, a custom to most Turks, his classic black hair was short but still tied neatly in a small ponytail and from the rearview mirror, I caught a glimpse of the tilak that was on his forehead. This image of him as he is now, never left my mind.

"Aurora, was it?" Tseng had called out, which caught me off-guard resulting in me hitting my elbow on the car door. "Ow! Uh yes!" I bit my lip in hopes that I could hold in the scream I wanted to let out, partly because I'm acting like a total weirdo, very unlike me.

"Are you alright?" 

"Yup, mhm, just fine! Is there something you needed to ask me?" I nervously moved on straight to the point, "Aura, relax, this guy is harmless." Dad chuckled from the front seat. "Hardy har dad."

"If I may, on who's recommendation will you be taking the test for joining our forces at Shinra?" Tseng asked softly.

"Who else but me?" Arthur didn't have an ounce of hesitation in his voice, I could feel the pride brim over in it. "Oh? and Lazard had no qualms about this?" Tseng sounded doubtful, "He did, but with a little bit of convincing, he allowed it." round two of dad feeling super satisfied is here, which makes me super happy, if not for him, I would not be doing what I'm doing right now.

"I believe I prepared enough for me to pass this examination, all that is left for me is to perform as required."

"Do you think you should get in?"

"I don't think I should, rather I know I can." Where the confidence was coming from is beyond me but Tseng looked a little distasteful from my response, "You seem to have trained quite a bit then, otherwise that confidence of yours wouldn't make any sense right now." He scoffed lightly, which did test my nerves a little but not enough to set me up in fumes. "I was taught by two very capable people, I think my confidence is justified." I continued with the same tone I had earlier.

By this time my nervousness died down since I was getting slightly irritated with the constant doubt, the man had projected onto me.

"Aura you can rest for a bit, it'll take a little while longer till we reach HQ," Arthur said and I responded with a yawn, agreeing to the suggestion. Leaning back onto the seat of the car, I drifted off.

• • •

"We're here."

"Aura- oh you're up already."

"Yuh-huh, I got a little anxious so sleep didn't catch up much to me." I yawned and stretched out my arms a little. Before I left the car, I thought I'd take a minute to wrap my head around this situation, my nerves were getting to me.

'Phew, okay me, nothing to get too worried about, it's probably like an interview or something. Yeah, that's it, I've done tons of interviews before, this should be nothing.'

I quietly slapped the sides of my face and was about to open the door, but it looked like someone had already done it for me, "You were taking time." I heard Tseng say, "Just needed to sort my head a bit." I dusted off my pants, getting myself out of the car.