Chapter 87 - Caught

Start from the beginning

"Daaaamn, Loki," says Clint in a slur, coming up beside Natasha and hanging on her shoulder to stand steady. "I'll...*hiccup*....I'll give you this one. That's a FAT rock."

"Thank you, birdman," Loki says somewhat uncomfortably.

"He's right, Loki," says Nat, offering him a supportive smile. "It's beautiful."

You feel Loki straighten up, preening slightly under the praise as your cheeks grow pink.

You look down and really inspect your ring for the first time. Your breath catches as you realize Clint and Natasha are right. Loki has somehow managed to find a flawless, perfectly cut emerald at least three carats in size, perhaps four.

"I cannot take all the credit, I fear," hums Loki. "Stark provided the custom band. I did, however, identify the stones I felt would best suit my woman."

Loki snakes his arm back around your waist as he speaks, pressing a sweet kiss to your cheek.

Your heart flutters as Nat points out the clarity of the stones to Bruce.

"It's really something, Y/n. We're all really happy for you. The big guy is too," Bruce says, smiling at you and looking sheepishly at Loki.

The three of them step back as Steve clears his throat.

"Check this out, Cap," says Natasha, placing your hand in Steve's as she and Bruce wander back to the table, followed by a stumbling Clint.

But Steve doesn't even look at the ring. Both of you know that's not what's important.

"It won't be easy," he says firmly, a serious look in his face. "But it's worth fighting for. Every second."

"I know," you say with a smile.

"We don't find real love, Y/n. It finds us. It found you. Both of you," Steve says, looking between you and Loki. "Treasure that. And you," Steve says, dropping your hand and stepping in front of Loki, whose jaw tightens ever so slightly.

"Welcome to the family."

Steve holds out his hand as an easy smile spreads across his face. Loki is taken aback only for a moment as he shakes hands with Steve, who pulls him into a hug.

You watch adoringly as Loki wraps his arm around Steve, and the two men embrace. You know that Loki has always had a soft spot for the Captain. Steve was, after all, the only one to know about your relationship for quite some time. And he has always been fair, open minded, and supportive - despite the occasional threat of bodily harm.

"Thank you, Captain," Loki says quietly, pulling back. "I will cherish her for the millennia to come."

A strange quirk in Steve's eyebrow causes his gaze to flit between you and Loki.

And your blood runs cold.

They don't know.

Oh gods, they don't know.

As Steve nods once more to Loki and kisses your cheek, you grab Loki's hand and pull him aside.

"Lo...did you tell them about my immortality?"

Loki's face pales as his eyes widen.

"No, love I...I didn't think to do so."