Chapter 33 - The Queen's Return

Why is it so cold? you think to yourself as you make your way through the trees, distracted by the snapping of the twigs and dry brush beneath your feet. 

Squinting in the darkness, trying to make out the source of the small ball of light ahead, you carefully wind your way through the forest, shivering as you go. 

"Loki?" you call out towards the light.

But no one answers. 

Your heart begins to race as you stop, your skin prickling. 

A low growl from behind causes your blood to run cold. You turn to find a tall, pale face staring back at you, snarling as it reaches for your throat.

"Veikburða..."

----

"Y/n?"

You gasp and sit upright, a strong pair of hands shaking your shoulders gently. 

"Y/n, darling, calm yourself."

You glance around frantically, sweat clinging to your brow as you take a moment to realize that you're safe in your bed.

"Loki?" you ask, looking up into Loki's wide, green eyes.

"Yes, my love. You're safe," he says, pulling you into his arms and rocking you gently, wiping away the sweaty hair that clings to your forehead. 

You lean into his chest and focus on slowing your breathing. 

A week. It had been an entire week since the slaughter in Herkja's village, and you are still having nightmares. And you hate yourself for it. 

After all you went through with HYDRA, you had been able to push away your nightmares using Phil's meditation techniques. But this time, they aren't working. And the dream is always the same. You're walking through a forest, trying to reach a light. Loki is nowhere to be found. 

And each time, the creature gets closer and closer to grabbing you. This time, it had only been a breath away from wrapping its hand around your throat.

"I'm fine, Lo," you say, shoving him back and standing from bed, pulling on pants and a shirt before clicking your bracelet and allowing your uniform to materialize in place.

"Darling, it's not yet sunrise. Where are you going?"

"I just need some air," you say. 

"Kærasta," Loki says, his tone questioning. Concerned.

You let out a sigh, and rest your forehead against the back of the door, your hand resting on the knob.