Chapter 52 - Friends With Cold Hands

The moment the three of you stepped foot in the village you could feel every red eye upon you. Yet every time you chanced a glance at where you felt a stare, not a single gaze could be found. 

All eyes averted. 

"I don't think we're welcome here," you whisper up to Loki, who hushes you. 

"Do not speak in the open, darling. The place of women in this particular society is...complicated. It is better you remain quiet for now."

You furrow your brow but fall silent as your stride matches that of the two gods who walk on either side. Passing through the cobbled village streets covered in a thin layer of snow, you realize that the townspeople give you a wide berth. The children, once playing openly, scatter to various alleys. The merchants step into their shops as you go by. 

"We need to find this safe house. Quickly," says Loki. "Thor, we'll take the Eastern side of the village. Y/n, you and I will take the Western front."

You blink a few times, confused by what Loki has just said.

"Wait, wha-", but Loki answers your question as he dips into an empty, dark alley between thatched shops and duplicates himself. 

"Onward, brother," whispers Thor, nodding to Loki's projection who follows him silently as they step out of the alley. You wait a few moments before stepping out yourself with the real Loki.

You wind through the streets, keeping your head down and ignoring the burning glares you feel in your back as you walk. Loki keeps a possessive arm around your waist as you move. 

Your eyes scan the streets and occasionally flit up just high enough to search for that checkered blanket, but it seems hopeless. At least an hour goes by with nothing, and the sun is quickly beginning to fade. The streets are growing dark. 

You and Loki are nearing the outskirts of the village, when from the corner of your eye you spot the tiniest hint of red in the distance.

"There," you breathe out as quietly as possible.

Loki nods and closes his eyes for a moment, but only for a moment, as a look of concentration comes over his face.

"I have notified my brother," he says.

"Do we wait?" you ask.

"What fun is there in that, darling?" Loki asks, a mischievous look on his face. 

Approaching the dilapidated house slowly, cautiously, you and Loki glance around to make sure no unwelcome passersby are keeping watch on the comings and goings of the home. But no one is nearby. It is quiet. 

Loki walks up the splintered porch steps and raps lightly on the door. Two succinct, light knocks.