Chapter 45 - An Assembly of Kings

Gooseflesh. 

You've always found it to be a funny word. Granted, you've never seen a goose plucked of its feathers, so you can't vouch for its accuracy. Nevertheless, there has to be a better word for it. 

Still, you run a light finger over the raised bumps on your skin. A small shiver works its way down your spine as the early morning air tumbles over your bare shoulders. You think about stepping back inside the balcony doors to seek respite in the warmth of your chambers, but there's something magnetizing about the resplendent, silveresque haze of the Asgardian pre-dawn hours.

You push the chill of the breeze from your mind as you lean against the balcony railing and look out upon the city below. Your eyes scan the sleepy city streets until they land on a dark and shabby area in the distance. Your mind wanders all the way back to Erland - a man you hadn't thought about in years.

Beware the lover that greets pain with a smile, my lady.

Sage advice. But not applicable to you. Not with Loki. 

A warm weight on your shoulders causes you to smile.

"Good morning, kærasta," Loki's low, sleepy voice rumbles in your ear as he drapes his emerald cloak around your shoulders. Loki must have cast an enchantment on the fur-lined satin cape to warm it. But it does little to heat you in comparison to the kiss he places on your temple.

"Good morning sweetheart," you answer gently. "How did you sleep?"

Loki wraps his arms around your waist and rests his chin on your shoulder, letting out a long, slow sigh.

"In truth, love, I have not slept so soundly for so long since I was a boy."

You bite your bottom lip, trying to control your grin and the small giggle hiding beneath your tongue. Once Loki had awoken in the music room, the two of you had spent the evening with Thor in the feast hall before retiring early for the night. Despite his brief nap earlier in the afternoon, Loki had still been exhausted and had quickly fallen asleep clinging to you, his head on your breast and his arm around your waist. 

You, on the other hand, had not gotten a wink of sleep. 

Loki's snoring had been otherworldly. You had never before heard him snore so thunderously. At one point in the evening you even wondered to yourself if Thor had really been ordained properly as the God of Thunder when Loki's snores themselves could shake Valhalla.

"We must dress, elskede. Dawn approaches," Loki says.

You let out one final sigh before pushing forward from Loki's chest, and taking his hand, following him back into your chambers. You use your seidr as Loki taught you to freshen up. You have to admit, it's convenient to be able to maintain your personal hygiene with a flick of a wrist. Yet there's something about a warm bath or a hot shower that your seidr just can't match.

Drifting to your dresser, you ponder what to do with the rat's nest currently sitting atop your head. Loki had tried to teach you how to do your hair with your seidr, but for some reason you just haven't been able to figure out anything more than simple styles.