*Chapter 34 - A New Kind of Game*

Bounding down the hall, you eagerly begin rummaging through the drawer of the bedside table in your bedroom. There's only one thing you need to take with you back to Midgard.

Your ribbon.

Thrilled to have time back home with the family, you could hardly wait to bid goodbye to Frigga before dashing back to your room to grab your ribbon and go.

Spotting the golden shimmer in the back of the drawer, you shove your hand back and grab it. But before you can pull it out, your hand brushes against that familiar, smooth leather of Loki's sheath and dagger.

"Oh crap," you say aloud, having completely forgotten to give him his birthday gift among the chaos of the past few days.

"What's wrong, darling?" Loki's velveteen voice croons from the doorway. He had teleported to the bedroom and has been watching you rummage through the drawer, enjoying your eager efforts to prepare for your departure.

"Lo!" you say, startled. "Oh...I, umm...well, actually, I-"

But your stammering is interrupted as Loki glides across the room and takes you into his arms, pressing his lips lightly to yours.

"Come now, darling. Use your words," he purrs, lowering his lips to your neck, making your cheeks grow warm and your brain start to go slightly fuzzy.

"That's not fair," you laugh, using both hands to push him away. "I just forgot about something kind of important," you say, turning away from him and grabbing the dagger and sheath from the drawer, and tucking it behind your back as you turn to face him once more.

Loki cranes his neck, trying to peer behind your back as you shift, blocking his view.

"Elskling...?" Loki says, an amused grin on his face.

You pull your hands from behind your back and hold out his dagger and sheath.

"Happy late birthday, Lo!" you exclaim, excited.

Loki arches one brow, taking the weapons belt from your hand and looking at it, confused.

"Darling, I may not be entirely familiar with Midgardian celebration customs, but I do believe it is against tradition to bestow upon the celebrant the same gift twice in a row," says Loki with a playful, yet curious grin.

You remain silent, biting your bottom lip in anticipation. Loki's smart. You know he'll figure it out.

You watch as Loki's glance flits between you and the weapons belt. His fingers drift over the sheath and hilt of his dagger for a moment, before he secures it around his waist. Once in place, he looks up expectantly at you, but your grin simply widens, and you wrinkle your nose at him.

"So I'm getting closer to understanding this mystery, hmm?" he teases.

You giggle, and hop up on the foot of the bed, crossing your legs and watching him as he fingers the hilt of the dagger, keeping his eyes locked on you the entire time.

"You've created quite the game here, elskling. Perhaps you simply want to try something new?" he says, drawing the dagger and disappearing.

You're confused by his assertion, but before you have a chance to figure out what he means you feel a weight on the bed behind you, and Loki's warm breath is in your ear. It contrasts against the cold, sharp tip of the dagger that he lightly trails down your neck.