Chapter 53 - Icy Spires

In a small town. Near a local fishery. Perhaps even back in the forest. 

These are all places you reasonably thought you may have landed when Loki teleported you out of the damp cellar of the young Jötunn man's home.

You never imagined you'd be standing in front of a massive palatial estate - larger and grander than Fensalir made entirely of white stone with spires that seem to scrape the edges of the sky itself, domed in blue glass.

Your jaw drops as you take in the sight before you and Loki remains silent, simply holding your hand gently, caressing the back of it with his thumb and giving you the time you need to drink in its splendor.

Hidden away in a mountain valley, painted in the star-freckled twilight sky of purple and blue hangs a shimmering sheen of green light - an aurora - that casts a gossamer glow over the entire palace making the white stones sparkle.

"Loki," you breath out in shock. You can't form any other thought. Any other word. His name is the only thing that makes sense right now.

"Ástin mín?" he answers, looking down at you with a kind and tired smile.

You simply let out a winded laugh and motion up at the castle with a wide and incredulous stare. 

"Shall we go inside?" he asks with a grin.

Your heartbeat picks up at you glance once more at the castle. You can see the arched entrance across the long and snow-covered bridge. You're dying to see what this place is like. 

"Can we?" you ask, nervously.

"Of course, elskling," Loki laughs. "I happen to know the owner. An old friend. She isn't home," he says, offering his arm to you. 

You take it and laugh at his gentlemanly gesture and allow him to begin escorting you across the bridge.

"A friend, you say?" laughing. "I've only met two 'friends' of your Loki. One of whom you threatened to kill after insulting his literary collection, and the other turned out to be an exiled healer. Who's lovely by the way and I really, really like her," you say quickly, upon seeing Loki's arched brow.

"Your point?" Loki asks with a laugh.

"Well, which kind is this friend?" 

"Neither, darling. A political friend. Someone I used to trade favors with back in the day. I'm afraid she and I no longer see eye to eye," Loki says, seemingly unbothered.

"And she won't mind we're here?" you ask nervously.

"Oh she'd hate it," Loki says mischievously. "Which makes this all the more fun! Wouldn't you say, love?"

"Do I know her?" you ask. You're not sure why you would know her, but at this point, nothing would surprise you.