Chapter 25 - A Mother's Not So Gentle Touch

"Do not get frustrated, child. Clear your mind, and try again."

Frigga's voice calls out to you from across the massive room. You shake your head to clear the slight buzzing pain that had come as a result of Frigga's latest blow. Gritting your teeth, you pull yourself from the ground and set your feet.

"Good," Frigga calls out, pacing slowly across the golden floors. "Are you ready?"

You take a breath and focus on the Queen. In a gown of satin blue with a metal breastplate and bracers, she's armed with nothing but a dagger and her seidr. Yet she has managed to take you down every single training session for the last week. You have yet to land a single blow on the woman.

"I'm ready," you say, spitting out a mouthful of blood from the strong backhand she had given you a few minutes prior. The one that had landed you on the floor.

You crouch into your fighting stance, and pull the dagger from your sheathe, your heart pounding.

"Miss, please take a deep breath. Your blood oxygen levels are too low."

"Not now, Athena," you grumble at the AI's voice.

"But Miss, you're injured."

"I'm aware, Athena," you say annoyed, raising your voice slightly.

"Shall I begin dermal regeneration?"

"What?" you ask, "you can do that?"

Before Athena can respond, a ray of golden light zips past your face. You roll to the side, barely dodging Frigga's magic.

Rising to your feet, you face the Queen and conjure two daggers in your holsters. 

Frigga had spent two days with you purely focused on quality of conjuration. And you had noticed a difference. Before, the daggers you conjured were small, flimsy. Sharp enough to do the job, but not sturdy enough to last long. The daggers that now rest in your holsters are eight inches long made of thick, stainless-steel blades with aquamarine stones in the hilts - just for fun.

"Come now, child," Frigga calls to you, taunting you from across the room. You let out a low growl, frustrated and sore from the past week of being beat up by the Queen.

You let out a yell and fling two long bolts of strong seidr at her from across the room, which she deflects easily. You follow them up with five or six additional blasts, but the Queen conjures a shield, then redirects the last back at you. You catch it in your hands, holding it and surprising yourself by how easily you caught it. 

"Very good, dear. You're improving!"

You extinguish the seidr in your hands and look back up at Frigga. She once more begins to summon her magic but you act quickly and lean into your own seidr. You teleport behind her and draw one of your daggers before lashing out at her back.