Chapter 1: The Wedding Card ✉

"His wedding cards have arrived." My little sister, Mahreen came running to me I kept the novel aside and took their wedding card in my hand.

It was pretty just the wedding card Adam would like, it was all blue with green and golden glitter on it with 'Mr Hammad and family.' written on the the front line. The wedding invites stinged my eyes, I immediately looked away.

"When is it?" I asked her.

"Next month on 3rd April," she replied, her eyes never leaving my face.

"And whose wedding do we have to attend today?" I dryly asked.

She stared at me like I had grown to heads. she had not expected me to ask about the wedding tonight. "Could you iron my turquoise and beige dress for the wedding?"

"Wouldn't it be too early to iron your dress for Adam's wedding?" She asked.

"The dress would be for tonight, for Sohail and Rania's wedding." I answered.

"Why do you keep talking about Sohail's wedding?" She asked in disbelief.

"Because it's tonight." I answered like it was the lamest thing to ask and rolled my eyes away. I was upset, annoyed and most of all sad. I didn't want the wedding invites to have an affect on me but eventually it did. It  shattered me. I lift my eyes to met her as she wouldn't stop staring. "I'm fine." I muttered to her.

"Can I hug you?" She asked, a tear dropped down my eye and so did hers. I shook my head, and with a brief understanding nod she left without asking any more questions and walked out with my dress in her hands.

I grabbed my novel but couldn't read it any longer, flashes of Adam holding Amna's hand just like the main leads in the novel broke me. The more I tried to control myself the more tears rolled down my eyes. Promising not to cry keeping the novel aside I played games on my mobile checked Facebook, Instagram and tried to distract myself until it was time to get ready for the wedding tonight.

I looked at my dress that Mahreen had hung it was beautiful a long turquoise coloured pleated gown with golden glitter and a nice light beige Dupatta with delicate work on it. Beneath where the dress hung were Mahreen's golden high heels she had lend me. She rarely did that and whenever she would, it was either she was grateful or apologetic but this was different I couldn't help but smile.

"Every one of your age is getting married when will you give us the same happiness? I also want to hold grandchildren before I die

"Every one of your age is getting married when will you give us the same happiness? I also want to hold grandchildren before I die." mom marched into the room she didn't know I was in love with Adam it was between us siblings so off course the decrease in single guys scared her.

I gave her a faint smile. "Yeah! Mom you can start looking for whoever you want. Let's get ready for tonight, okay?" I grabbed my dress and walked into the bathroom but she held me from shutting the door. "Mahreen was crying for you, what happened?" She asked her voice full of concern. This girl is going to get me caught one day or other.

"Oh she found out I had failed in an assignment. She was the one who said she would help but then she didn't and I failed." I lied, and she bought it.

"Was the assignment really important?" She asked, placing her hand on my cheek as I held the bathroom door open.

"No I just scared her." I lied again.

She patted on my shoulder. "I thought it was something serious.. okay then work hard huh? I'll go get ready or else your Dad.." she chuckled and left the room. I heaved a sigh and shut the door.

It took me half an hour or so to get showered and changed in the dress. After doing make up for another half an hour I was finally ready, I moved my lips together and spread the lipstick evenly. A smile grew up to my lips as I glanced myself for last time in the mirror. I wish Adam was here to see me and he might regret marrying Amna.

"We are leaving! Whosoever gets in the car on time leaves, the rest can stay home." Came's Dad's typical horrible warning. I hurried out of my room in my heels and carefully walked down the stairs. "You look pretty, oh yeah go get in the car." I smiled at Dad as he forced everyone into our SUV.

After all it was Dad's nephew's wedding so Dad was dressed in a grey suit. My elder brother who was in good terms with Sohail was dressed in a navy blue tuxedo. Mom was dressed in a nice tea pink coloured dress and Mahreen was just wearing the same dress I wore, the only difference was that her dress was orange and mine was turquoise.

Dad checked up on all of us and started the car. Mom sat beside him, I sat at the back with Ahmed whereas Mahreen sat at the last seats of the car. Ahmed nudged my arm and leaned inn. "I heard about Adam's wedding. Do you still not think we should tell them?" Ahmed asked, referring to Mom and Dad.

"What's the purpose of telling them, the wedding will happen anyways. Its not like telling them would stop it." I reasoned.

"Adam is Mom's nephew, if Mom talks to her brother something can be done." He suggested.

"I don't know, I don't want people to know I love him.. it's too awkward." I reasoned. "And it's not like he lives me too.. I mean it's just me. He loves Amna I probably shouldn't fit myself somewhere I don't belong." I added

"If not Dad, at least tell Mom. I feel sorry for you." He said, I leaned inn and hugged him.

"Hey, what are you two whispering after dumping me in the back? Huh?" Mahreen asked but we just brushed her off. Dad drove to the venue in no time and soon we walked out of our cars, Dad handed over his car keys to Ahmed so he could park the car as we proceeded further inside the hall. After Ahmed joined us, we showed the card at reception and walked in, the camera man shotting us as we made our way inside.

Everyone dispersed, Dad went after his brother, Ghana whereas Mom went after his wife, Aunty Laila and Ahmed went to congratulate the groom, Sohail. Mahreen and I looked at each other, grabbed the nearest tables and sat down. Some aunties joined us and talked among themselves until I realised one of them just talked to me. "Salam dear, who are you?" She asked. I plastered a smile before answering.

"WalaikumaSalam Aunty, I'm Samreen. The groom is my cousin from paternal side." I answered.

"You're beautiful MashaAllah, are you married?" She asked. I knew she was going to set me up with someone.

"Yes Aunty," I lied, pointing at Mahreen I lied further. "She's my sister in law." Mahreen chuckled and soon we both ran away from the table laughing our ass out.

"What has gotten into you two?" Ahmed asked as I bumped into him, the laughing had just gotten out of control. "There is some trouble here." Ahmed sounded so serious, we both stopped laughing and straightened up.

"The bride, Rania. SHE RAN AWAY!!" I clasped my hand on my mouth as my eyes popped out of it's socket and my jaw dropped down.