Author's Note

Lucius is finished!!!!

And right before the ONC deadline, too. Cutting it close, huh?

This book was so different from anything I'd ever written before. Usually my characters, although not always the clear cut hero, have some heroic tendencies or have some sort of redemption arc. Lucius had none of those - he started out a good kid and descended into becoming the villain. Decius, on the other hand, definitely had heroic qualities.

I definitely want to return to this someday and expand on it. Due to the ONC word limit and the timeline, I didn't have the time or space necessary to spotlight plot points like Decius and Lucius' ride north, the war, or Decius joining the rebellion, among other things (like all the legends and culture aspects!). I would definitely appreciate constructive criticism on what to improve/add to in the rewrite!

Fun fact: I named Lucius in honor of all the Roman people named Lucius (I was trying to find a name for him at eleven o'clock at night and this was the first name that came to mind that I liked) and also for Lucius Malfoy, another not-so-nice person (who doesn't deserve to have a character named after him but since Lucius isn't so nice, it works - so maybe he's named in dishonor of him). Decius was named for a military tribune who sacrificed himself to save Rome (actually, there were two of them, father and son, who both died to save Rome). A fitting name indeed for him.

Thank you so much for reading Lucius! I hope you enjoyed it! Let me know what you thought of the book as a whole now that you've finished!

Skylar Wittenborn