10

Decius' house loomed before him as he spurred his horse through the gates. Sunlight illuminated the stately structure. After the war, the Numas House had been rebuilt on the foundation of the old one, a vivid reminder of Sipio's old words insisting that Numas House was not dead, not while Decius lived.

And to think I had thought I would see Gravium's throat before I saw my house rebuilt, Decius had thought on first walking the halls of the structure. I had claimed then that my house was the Underworld.

Now, all he thought was fear and worry. He had known of Lucius' lingering dislike of the Ascantal species. They had, after all, murdered his father before his eyes. But he had thought all of his hatred had been drained by the numerous proscriptions, left to wither and die with the execution of his enemies.

But here they were, five years later, and Lucius was plotting what sounded like a massacre.

Decius dismounted, passing his reins to a slave before hurrying inside. He needed to find Minerva, to speak to her about precautions. He didn't think Lucius would dare lay a finger on his wife or children, but she had family, friends, whom Lucius might not think twice about having proscribed. He still held a grudge against Casarion House, despite their now being allied with the throne.

Lucius must be stopped.

Decius needed to send a letter to Vican, the only other Furian who would dare oppose Lucius. The former imperator may have been retired, but the threat of a massacre against half of Fure's citizens would draw him out, at least to give advice.

Decius cared deeply about his brother, but he couldn't allow him to massacre an entire species. With a sinking heart, he realized he might have to rally his soldiers against the throne and depose Lucius. I can't do that. He is my brother, and I placed him there.

But I did not realize the depth of his hatred at the time, or how it would refuse to die with his true enemies.

"Decius," Minerva greeted, sweeping toward him. Her jet black hair gleamed in the morning light, coiled on the nape of her neck. Her dark eyes smiled at him as she clasped her arms about his neck and kissed him lightly. "You left early."

"I had a meeting with Lucius," Decius said gravely. "Where is Tiberias?"

"Plautus took him to the tutor," Minerva told him, her eyebrows furrowing in concern at his tone. "Why?"

"Lucius said some things today," Decius said quietly. "About the Ascantals. He still views your people with hatred, even after all these years of peace between us. I do not know precisely what he plans, only that it is wrong. I want to make sure you and our children are safe."

"Safe from your own brother?" Minerva asked tremulously.

"I am afraid so," Decius said. "You didn't hear him, Minerva, and thank Augustus for that. He is allowing his hate to destroy him from the inside, and I will have to take some measures, as imperator. But I want you away from Fure, I want you safe. Gather some things and take the children to Vican, with a letter. He will shelter you while I dethrone my brother."

Minerva covered her mouth, the blood draining from her face. "It's that serious?"

Grimly, Decius nodded. "It is. I believe he plans a massacre, and I will not allow him to kill half the people in Fure." Turning, he called for one of the slaves. "Go to the tutor Tacitus and retrieve Tiberias immediately. Go quietly, return quietly. Do not draw attention to either you or the boy."

The slave nodded and left the room quickly as Decius turned back to Minerva. "Minerva, go get Diana. I will escort you out of the city and send you on to Vican with a letter."