6

About an hour later, the pounding of hooves was heard outside the temple and the younger spearman entered. "Vican demands we bring Decius Numas and Lucius Sipio to him immediately," he declared.

The older man gestured to Decius and Lucius. "Come with us. Once outside the temple, unbuckle your swords and give them to us."

Decius nodded, keeping his hands up. "We will."

Vican's four soldiers backed out of the temple, Decius and Lucius advancing with hands away from their belts. As soon as they passed out of the temple, they both unbuckled their swords from their belts and placed them on the ground, stepping to the side as the younger spearman collected them.

"Mount up," the older man ordered, gesturing to their horses.

Lucius and Decius obeyed, gathering in their reins as the spearmen mounted up, the archers swinging up behind them. The younger spearman went first, the older man coming in behind the brothers.

The ride through the rest of the ravine was short, the path opening out into a valley seeded in waving green grass. A city rose from the center of the meadow, the buildings seeming to dwarf the elegant stone walls. Scattered throughout the vast meadow were small clusters of huts, sheep and cows grazing around them. Ringing the valley in were the magnificent Trajan Mountains, sealing Ciceri in from the outside world.

Lucius felt awe steal over him. The scene was so peaceful, so beautiful. He hadn't had a chance to appreciate nature's beauty during their ride north, being too rattled to notice much about the countryside he had anticipated seeing, but now he could truly see its magnificence.

Their escort guided them through the meadow to Ciceri, passing through the open gates. Lucius had never seen the gates of Fure open longer than the couple minutes it took for someone to pass in or out. But despite being at war with Fure, Ciceri didn't seem to fear attack. Then again, they didn't need to, not with the ravine to bottleneck any army seeking to attack them.

They rode through the city, approaching the center forum. There, the older man gestured for them to dismount and the brothers obeyed, the reins of their mounts taken from them before they were escorted into the council chamber.

A man in his fifties stood in the center of the chamber, a sword belted around his waist and dressed in imperator's garb, the sharp red tunic crisp despite appearing to be old. His dark eyes were sharp in his lined face, his black hair greying around the edges.

"Decius Numas," he said, stepping forward. "And Lucius Sipio. I am Brittanicus Vican, former imperator of Fure and now occupier of Ciceri."

"We are grateful you have agreed to see us," Decius said. "We have fled from Fure, seeking aid and shelter here. Lucius Sipio the elder has perished, murdered by Pirilius, who has assumed the throne as interrex before attempting to have my half-brother and I assassinated."

Vican looked at Lucius, his eyes cool, before glancing at the escort. "You four are dismissed," he said. "Leave their swords. The son of Decius Numas is always welcome in my company."

The four men left, placing the sheathed blades on one of the seats. Vican waited until it was only the three of them before resuming. "Why have you come to me?"

"I heard you were an ally of my father," Decius answered. "Neither of us had anyone else to turn to. Lucius suggested we ride north, to seek your aid."

Vican looked again to Lucius. "You did, boy?"

"Yes, I did," Lucius replied firmly. "You once stood by Decius' father against Pirilius; I thought perhaps you would do so again. And as my brother said, we had no one else."