Acknowledgment

PS: This is a part of the Who are you(Fanfic), but on Horikita's POV.

---------------x

Evening

Walking in the dense dark forest, I forward the flashlight to light our way. Even though the GPS tracker isn't working, I can still use the installed compass in the tablet, to lead me to my desired path.

The ground may be slippery and rocky, but no one's gonna stop me in reporting this sudden but at the same time, felt intentional issue that everyone experience.

The knife stuck into his right hand, I still cannot forget such image.

Why would someone like him has a bounty? Why would the school made an special exam to target him? Why of all people in this school, that it has to be him? Why is this world so cruel, that every time I wanted someone to acknowledge me, they will slowly go away?

Lots of questions crossed my mind that I didn't saw the large root is in my way, that I ended up collapsing into the ground.

“Ahhrgh.”

Sudou, the person who accompanied me in this expedition, immediately runs towards me and remind me to be careful.

“You okay Suzune? I just told you—”

I'm fine, but it hurts... I then punch the ground for unable to help him when he needs the most.

Its always like this... He always saves me everytime I'm in trouble... Always making preparations so that the class won't suffer a huge defeat in the aftermath... Planning something behind everyone's back, only showing a little of his true abilities to not stand out... Always one step away from everyone.. always invulnerable..

Yes... He's still full of mystery... His odd social skills at first, but suddenly change as time goes by... The line of 50’s test score that is too much to be coincidence... Flawlessly dodging the attack of nii-san with right timing... A very quick feet in the Sport Festival, while also outsmarting Ryuenn is a huge achievement itself... Using nii-san’s influence on me to reveal Yamouchi... Fighting Sakayanagi on equal terms on the year end exam... Acing a university level math test which no one in our year understand... And then, being stabbed with a knife but doesn't have any reaction...

I also recalled the time when I suddenly go wary on him... scared that one day he will betray me.. but this time, I stop thinking of that assumption... Whether it will happen or not, I'm prepare to take the risk...

“Forget about me Sudou-kun, we must reach Chabashira-sensei before something happens to him..”

Somehow this doesn't sound like me, pushing my body to the limit for the sake of a third party, is not me at all... Yet I'm grateful for this... Proud that I'm choosing my true feelings/self without the shadows of wanting to mimic him..

“Okay.”

Sudou then reached out his arm and helped me in standing up.

Both of us then continue moving forward to reach our destination.

•••

The time they meet Ayanokouji

Seeing him completely safe, takes a lot of heavy load from my chest. The thought of using the sudden issue for his expulsion, was cleared when we met the acting director of the school.

We then walked towards him, while that idiot has the look of not noticing the recent abnormalities at all.

“Yo.”

Sudou-kun, whose relieved but meanwhile a little pissed on Ayanokouji-kun for being so carefree then confronts him.

“Don’t Yo me Ayanokouji, where the hell are you?”

Since most students have gathered in the same side of the island. It's too peculiar for him to be here in the starting point.

But since it's already deep in the night, I then cut to the chase, so that we can replenish our energy, for the exam tomorrow.

“Let me handle this Sudou-kun.”

Knowing that I only allow him to tagged along.. Sudou then step back and shut up.

Wooo... I need to ask him the important matters ... So I beg you Ayanokouji-kun... Trust me this time...’

Staring at his deep and lifeless eyes, I then open my mouth and blurted the words.

“Did something happen?”

This question is unlike the recent time where I force him to answer.. it contains no ill intention but genuine feelings, so I hope that I will also receive the same genuine reply.

“No, there's none.”

Like in the past year, I still couldn't knock on his real self... Still couldn't gain his approval... His trust... I'm still someone unworthy to be on his side...

Expectations shattered like a broken glass, his eyes knows my real intention, no I showed him my real intention.. but he didn't reciprocate, instead, he choose to keep his distance and fight it by himself...

Then can you promise me that you'll survive this exam..

I want to tell him those words, but hesitate since....

-----end