31. Illusional Revelation

(New and edited)
CHAPTER 31: Illusional Revelation

I felt the candles flames weave through me. She stood there, and she disappeared, along with the entire room, and there, in the distance was a road. I spin around, alone in the frosted ground. It looked like it was, only the entire atmosphere was a welcoming dessert of humidity. The trees were a mystic green before a flowing glow of red and orange leaves. The road held four seasons, all in my line of vision. I was facing the light of summer, but it was the cold dark hand behind me, from the voids of a dark winter.

I turn and still.

There in the road was a body.

I run for her, she's horizontal, unmoving, not breathing. I sprinted, pumping my legs, with every step I was running further from her. Screaming, I try harder and harder to get closer. I growled, pumping faster, but forces were tugging me back. I do the only thing I could, I shed my clothes and pull out the beast I always keep so locked up inside me. Not out of fear, but out of a foreign entity. A foreign touch was my wolf's pelt, a foreign smell was her scent, a foreign being she was because that connection between beast and man should have been stronger.

Suddenly I was too close to the body. Paw after paw and there she is. I shed the fur and drop to my knees. A woman in a white dress, only the white was almost non-existent. She was soaking in hipper own blood. Scratches that pulled out bone, guts filled with magnets knowing on her organs. I screamed and spun out, spun away from her, "Burn me. Stop the pain." Her mind, not her mouth that physically opened.

I stare at her, horror wretched through me, "How?! How do I stop it?" How do I save you?" I cry out. Her mind asked for flames, for mercy. It's what she called it, likes strip of silver and gold thoughts running through the lobes of her mind. Everything that had its place was crawling with insects and she couldn't stop it.

I cry out and drop to my knees.

Burn.

I shake my head, I couldn't tear my eyes away. Raising my fingers, I spread the bony things out to her, barely a meter away. I clench my breath, keeping it lodged in my throat. I try a spark, I try to burn something in my palm. I hold the bile rising in my throat, my lungs were burning. I scream out, trying again. The flame sizzles at first.

I aim it at her.

Burn!

"I'm trying."

"You're not trying hard enough." The masculine voice behind me. Martin. I spin around.

"Martin, we have to—to do something. Please." I beg of him, unable to understand how he's here. He stares so blankly. Pale and empty and a void of something, like his face would swallow hole and into nothing.

"You failed. Again."

I stare at him, "I didn't fail anything, we have to help her!" I roar at him, rotating to the body...that's no longer there. No blood on the yellow strip. The horrific smell gone in a flash. You failed. Again. What does he mean again.

"What is this?" I ask him.

He moves forward, "Here I thought I chose a strong female. Fighting back was delicious at first, but you got greedy in Europe. Always fighting for a society that does not exist. Women—you were given a purpose, serve the superior species and produce the next generation. You do not have that many jobs, and yet, you failed. You failed in making me happy. You failed in protecting your own family. Your mother's gone, your father's refused to reveal his identity, the children you hurt and the cuffs you wore because of your own fault. A wolf cannot be scared. You failed the test in the face of fear, you wear the silver cuffs to bed because you could not rule. You could not show the animalistic side you hide."