10. Paint Me In Red

(New and edited)
CHAPTER 10: Paint Me In Red

I understood death. I didn't mean to, I didn't want to, but I did.

The capturing of souls, whether tortured or not, death collected and gobbled up souls like a child does candy. I watched Martin walk up to a large black mat, it's equipped with the materials needed, "After the tournament, of course, I would not want my mate with child during such dangerous events." Martin adds, grabbing a pair of twin daggers.

I stare at him, he looked serious, stern. Like he had the power to control when my body should be changed. Right now, I was staring at a vile stance, a man who deserved a woman's wrath. He truly believed he had all the right in the world to physically hurt me, when all I did was refuse a bond in which I knew wasn't real. One I knew had to be a mistake made by the gods, otherwise I would have loved him and dealt with whatever horror thrown at me, deluding myself into believing it was love, like all the other Lunas who feel their alpha mates had a right to hurt them.

He twists his daggers, I choose the same weapon, sliding them from the sides of the map and becoming accustomed to their nature, their rhythm, "The first one to draw blood, or concede is the winner." Robert announces, his role in this clan seemed more open in some way, Martin was allowing it, watching me while his enforcers, his people find entertainment, like this is some lover's quarrel.

Martin had years on me, he may have had the strength and those supporting him, surrounding him like a hive of bees following a Queen. I was on enemy territory, or in the very least, foreign territory, "No wolf can intervene, neither can any of you shift." Robert adds, pointing to us.

The sound of a bell chimes and I teleport behind him without a thought, knocking him off his feet and slamming the sharp end of my dagger down, he blocks me. I grit my teeth as I stare down into his silver eyes, the room gasps because they had never seen me teleport, now that I could use the ability more frequently, I revelled in using it. The council found it odd, almost unheard of that I could do what I did once as a child. Teleporting in random places, uncontrolled. But if Martin could use other people's abilities, if that was something he had hidden himself as an alpha, then I knew I would struggle.

He sends a punch straight for my gut throwing me over him and ripping my daggers away. I roll forward, on my feet I whip my eyes around and duck immediately when he goes for a lethal headshot, the slicing of his dagger a sound of immense speed. I slam my fist into his thigh, relishing in his grunt, before I'm spun around with his chest flush against my back. He sinks his canines into my neck.

I writhe against him, roaring, trying hard to stop it. As quickly as it started, it ends. The pain. Everything. The bite had felt different, like I was fading in and out of darkness and...ecstasy. It was a strange, palpable twist in my veins. Involuntary.

That and blood.

I lost.

The first to bleed, and he did it by siblings canines into my flesh.

It happened so quickly.

He stands there, not like a warrior, but in defeat. I didn't know when he left my side, his lips caked in red blood, mine.

It's deadly silent in the room. The mated females hitch their breaths, most of them seeing it as an intimate gesture. Because it was a lethal one, the way he did it, I wondered if that finally showed.