Chapter 3: First Impressions (Again)

Start from the beginning

 I had just walked into the venue and was standing at one of the rear entrances. I turned toward the stage and beheld the scene before me. Speakers, audio equipment and technicians filled up the stage. There were dancers in front of the stage practicing what looked like some routine. There was a woman standing on a chair in front of the stage yelling out orders to a bunch of different people. A few men in suits sat in the front row seats talking amongst themselves with papers and pens in hand. The band was making a ruckus with the loud noises of drums, bass, guitars; I think I even heard a fiddle somewhere in there. This was the concert life, I thought as I smiled to myself.

 “Still the same scene isn’t it?”

 I snapped to attention when I heard the voice behind me. I turned around to see who had spoken and standing there behind me with the biggest grin on her face, was Demi.

 “The noise is definitely still the same” I chuckled, as the noise of the drums started to envelope the whole theatre.

 “Oh yeah, but it’s exactly how I like it” She replied, grinning like a Cheshire cat. For a moment I was taken back to 2010. She was a vision. She still had the same flowing long dark brown hair with the bangs, the same mischievous brown eyes with the sparkle, and the beautiful 10000 watt smile. But she was also different. There was now a womanly matured aura about her that made her beautiful beyond her years and I found myself surprisingly attracted to it.

 I wonder if she has a boyfriend, the thought popped into my head out of nowhere. Well I wouldn’t be surprised if she did, a lot of guys out there would give anything to find a woman (yes woman) this attractive. Suddenly the thought of Joe popped into my head. My brother is not going to be prepared for this, I chuckled inwardly.

 "Yeah well you were always a loud one” I teased.

 She laughed out loud at this, the same old laugh that used to put smiles on everyone’s faces. So infectious and genuine.

 “Still feisty as ever I see’’ she laughed, ‘’It’s sooooo good to see you again Jerry!” she continued as she hugged me with a devilish grin. She knew how much I hated to be called by my middle name. Well two can play that game too, I thought amusedly…

 “Same for you too Demetria” I retorted laughing as she made a face. She hated being called her full name as well.

 “Oh shut up!” she laughed it off, “C’mon now let’s go we have a few things to do and I’m not sure you can keep up with me vocally anymore” And with a laugh and a twinkle in her eye she continued to prance down the walkway toward the stage.  

 ☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀

 Demi's POV:

 He looked good.

 He was not the youngling I remember with the mop of messy hair and the scrawny little body. This Nick Jonas had replaced the long curls with a short crew cut that suited his now more muscular and toned frame. He had grown taller as well, towering over me despite the fact that we used to be the same height a year or so ago. His shoulders were so broad and I could see the muscle rippled through his flannel shirt. There was no longer that boyishly cute boy. What I now beheld was a fully grown, handsome young man.

I felt almost giddish, and shy talking to him. This wasn’t how I usually was with Nick. The feeling just pounced on me unannounced. 

 Wait! Demetria are you becoming attracted to NICK?? NO WAY, I pinched myself. This is the last person you would ever see yourself with. He is your friend; you’ve never thought of him and him you, as anything more than THAT! And you can’t be attracted to him; you still have feelings for JOE!

 My mind was in utter chaos. I threw a guilty glance across the stage where Nick stood chatting to Jeff and my mom, he had been introduced to everyone by now and we were about to start singing. He was laughing at something mom had said, he had his arm around her shoulders and she around his waist. My mom was happy to see Nick again. What a picture they made. I wasn’t the only one who had missed him. For a moment the former guilt ridden thoughts that caused chaos in my mind moments earlier were forgotten as I stood and admired the view before me.

 My mom had always said Nick was the type of boy a mother wants her daughter to bring home. How ironic the thought seemed now, I thought. With me standing here checking him out from only a few feet away. Ughhhh. But this is nonsense I thought. This physical attraction I had to him right now was nothing more than exactly that, physical. Any girl would look at Nick and be attracted to him, you’d have to be blind not to. It happens, and I guess I could partially blame it on my lack of male interaction for the past year. Joe was my LAST boyfriend and even that was more than a year ago. JOE. Yes he was on my mind now. You had broken my heart so many years ago, but I can’t seem to move on from you… Did he ever think about me? Is he thinking about me now? Why can’t I get over him?  Maybe if I see him again I’ll forget all about these nonsensical feelings I was having for Nick. Yeah that’s exactly what it is. Nonsensical.