Chapter 3: First Impressions (Again)

CHAPTER 3: FIRST IMPRESSIONS, AGAIN

Nick’s POV:

 “What time are you getting back?” My brother Joe lay on my bed, eyeing me eagerly.

  “Why do you care?” I asked.

  “Oh just wondering… I might need to borrow the rover for a date tonight” He replied.

 Liar, I thought. Joe did not have a date of any kind tonight. Since Demi Lovato’s representatives had called about me singing with her on her opening show for her new album, Joe had been stuck to my hip, always with the questions. He, as much as I, was shocked when the call had come from Selena Gomez a good friend of mine. We hadn’t seen Demi in over a year and this phone call was a major pageturner. She had distanced herself from us following her rehab stint as well as her breakup with Joe. Joe who I saw, had begun to regret breaking up with her. He had been through 5 girlfriends since he broke up with Demi. But the end of their relationship had somehow affected my friendship with her as well. Joe may have dated Demi but everyone knew it was I who was closest to her. Before she and Joe had even dated, we were best of friends. We would pull pranks on each other and laugh at each other’s jokes while everyone else scratched their heads at us. We would share our relationship troubles and deepest secrets with each other. We would throw each other birthday parties and celebrated each other’s every little achievement. Often people would say we were meant for each other, but ours was a platonic relationship strictly. But we knew we meant the world to each other. And never could I imagine her not in my life. But all that changed. She left the tour and stopped keeping in touch. I tried so many times to call her, text her and so on but she was living a new life now and had no time for us. Personally I knew she was avoiding me as part of her plot to forget the boy who broke her heart, my brother. We were a part of her old life. Was this changing now?

 “I don’t know” I said to Joe. “They said the audio and band is all ready, the only thing they need now to start rehearsing is the vocals, which is me. So I might be a bit late if they wanna do a few runs”

 “Wouldn’t you need to get back earlier incase Delta dropped by to see you” Delta was my girlfriend. I had met her on a vacation to Australia and had been seeing her for 3 months. She was also a singer and was a real sweet girl. I found myself falling for her as our relationship progressed and even introduced her to the whole family.

 “Nah she told me she has a gig tonight at some club so I’ll see her tomorrow” Delta had moved to LA a month before to be closer to me and to pursue her music career.

  “Wish I could tag along…….I don’t know” Joe shrugged.

 We both knew that was not possible. Demi was just getting ready to see one Jonas brother, not two let alone include the one who used to make her cry endless nights on tour while I held her. My brother had not been smart to bring his new girlfriend Ashley on tour with Demi back then. Demi withdrew from her usual bubbly self on seeing Joe with Ashley. Little did anyone know, her troubles ran deeper and eventually got to a point where even I couldn’t help her. No, Joe was to stay as far as possible from Demi right now. He had hurt our friendship once, I wasn’t about to let it happen twice.

“That’s not even viable right now and you know it” I retorted. Grabbing my jacket and walking out of the room while Joe sat defeated on my bed.

 ☀☀☀☀☀☀☀☀

The Greek Theatre in Los Angeles was ancient. But beautiful. With its red velvet drapes, chairs and beautifully carpeted floors. It reminded me of the Broadway theatre I had left. It was 6 years ago when my brothers and I had first performed here on our own tour. It felt weird how long ago that was, I shuddered. I was turning 20 this year, yet I still felt like I was still 15. The years had passed by much too fast.