Chapter 9

Randy got off of work in the afternoon, so I decided to meet with him and the others. I really wanted to stay in our apartment but he was insistent on cracking the case. My gut was telling me that we should have stayed home.

"Please," I whispered to him as we approached our old friends. "I think this is a bad idea. I don't have a good feeling."

"Don't worry about it sweetheart," Randy gripped my hand. "I promise you and I are safe."

"You promise?" I stopped, clutching onto his green jacket. "If you get hurt..."

"I won't. Neither will you."

Randy pecked the tip of my nose and I pulled him in for a real kiss. I traced his jawline with my fingertips. I didn't want to let go.

We sat down next to Dewey, Gale, and her cameraman Joel.

"Alright, let's just assume that the killer is repeating Woodsboro-" Before she could continue speaking, Gale's phone rang. "Yes? ... I'll have to call you back."

She hung up and I spoke.

"If there was a copycat killer... Wouldn't it make sense that there would be two then?"

Everyone paused until Dewey spoke.

"That would explain the attack at the sorority house. You were still on the phone with someone when you turned to see the Ghostface mask," He said.

"And the person on the phone didn't sound like Billy or Stu..." I mumbled.

"So it wouldn't be Stu? You can tell for sure?"

"I... I can't." I leaned against Randy aggressively.

"Well, whoever it was... They're trying to finish what they started," Randy sighed.

"Well, you're under protection right?" Gale asked. Her phone rang again. "What? ... Tell Bob I'll call him back!" She hung up once more, taking another puff of her cigarette.

"When'd she start smoking?"

"Ever since those nude pictures on the internet," Randy said. I slapped his arm.

"It was just my head, it was Jennifer Aniston's body- Anyway! You're forgetting something," Gale said. "In Woodsboro, there were more victims before the home stretch. Tatum, my cameraman-"

"Time out!" Joel finally interjected. "See, I don't need to be hearin' about no dead cameraman, alright? Now, I'm warning you guys I am a verb away from vacating these premises. Imma go get me some coffee, donuts, Prozac, see if I can find some crack... Special KX, not Malcolm," He stood up. "And I'll be back when you guys start talking about something a little more 'Saved By The Bell-ish' alright?"

We all watched him walk away.

"He seems a little shaky..."

"I don't blame him," I muttered. "He's probably the only smart person here..."

"Don't worry about him... If the killer is following a pattern, maybe we can figure out who's next."

"I wouldn't follow a killer's pattern," Dewey said. "We were all involved in Woodsboro. It could be any one of us."

"Okay, so what do you want to do, bonehead?" Gale snapped. "Just want to sit here and see who's next?"

Dewey seemed taken aback. "Well, I don't know... Bonehead!"

They stared at each other with hard eyes as Gale's phone rang once more. Randy, obviously fed up, snatched the device and answered it.

"Gale's not here!" He growled but his expression grew heavy with fear. I shook his shoulders to see what was up. He covered the speaker slowly. "It's him..."

I couldn't hold back the gasp. I wondered if this was the copycat or Stu. Was Stu even involved?

"Who?" Dewey asked dumbly.

"The killer... He can see us."

My heart rate increased as my eyes darted around the open campus. We four stood to our feet.

"Just keep him on the phone."

"What do you want me to say?"

"I-I don't know, just keep talking," Dewey urged. He yanked on Gale and I to follow but my nerves said stay next to Randy.

I ignored them.

We searched around and interrogated everyone holding a mobile phone. I knew it wasn't any of them. It'd be too easy. Gale and Dewey were determined to find him though. I was eager to get away.

We yanked and yelled at everyone in our line of sight but the longer it went on the faster my heart beat. I should be next to Randy, not these two. This wasn't working. This was a terrible idea.

What felt like hours ended up being minutes. After one too many guys tackled, I put my foot down.

"We need to stop!" I yelled. Both Gale and Dewey snapped their heads toward me.

"What's wrong?" Gale asked.

I instinctively started shaking my left leg and my hands twisted into each other.

"This isn't right- ... This doesn't feel right," I whined. "Randy's somewhere out there and so is the killer-"

"Randy..." Gale's eyes widened.

"Where's Randy?"

The look on their faces was enough for me to bolt. I screamed his name over and over, tripping over my feet. This campus was huge, he couldn't be far. I continued screaming his name until I passed Joel. He was fixated on his van not far from us.

Dewey ran towards the door with a broken window and slammed it open.

Everything fell silent. I could feel my body collapse. I barely gripped onto Gale's form for a millisecond before I tried crawling over to him.

"No..." I muttered. "No... No... NO"

I screamed for him. He was right there. He is right there. But he was soaked in blood and his beautiful, loving eyes were dead, cold, and wide open. Looking at me. I tried reaching for him but Dewey caught my body. I couldn't reach him.

I managed to escape from everyone that I knew after more police interrogations. They wanted to take me out of town away from the killer. I wanted to go home.

I've been hugging his pillow for hours. It's soaked, along with our comforter. But it smells like him. He's still here. No matter how much I want to drown in my tears I won't stop trying to feel him somewhere in these walls.

My thoughts lingered to when I visited my Aunt. I clutched his scent a little tighter. I felt everything drift to the prom. The scene changed before me. I could almost see him again.

"They don't know me like you do..." I sobbed. "I'm sorry... I'm sorry, I'm sorry... I'm so sorry..."

Bang.

I fell silent.

It came from the front door. As if someone slammed against it.

I sat up and allowed my feet to dip into the cold floor. I tiptoed to the living room and looked around. Not a soul around and not a single thing out of place. Except...

My eyes darted to something white on the floor. It was laying in next to the front door. I crept and grabbed it slowly.

Meet me on stage.

There was nothing else written.