Chapter 3.5

Halloween. The best holiday of the year. Also known as, the one night a year besides your birthday where you throw a huge party.

Somehow, Halloween managed to land on a Saturday so everyone was using that to their advantage to throw away their lifespan. It didn't matter that the parties started at nightfall. All that mattered was our parents were out and we were free to roam the streets anonymously.

I'm out and about with Sidney and Tatum before the party. Sidney, although she didn't want to come out in the first place, was dressed up as Mia Wallace from Pulp Fiction. She fit the costume well but her uncomfortable demeanor threw off the vibe of the whole look. Tatum was dressed as Buffy The Vampire Slayer, from the movie. Her costume was homemade, she even cropped the hoodie herself. She pulled it off well.

I was dressed as Ellen Ripley since I've been on an Alien binge lately and supposedly, the fourth one is to come out next year. Unfortunately, her spacesuit seemed to squeeze in all the wrong places. Tatum made a point to reassure me, though. Her exact words were, "Hey, if I were a space chick I would always make sure I look busty. You look great."

So, the three of us roamed Woodsboro until it was dark. Stu wanted us to get some snacks for the party, as always, so we had to stop by the convenience store. Not many people were there, we had basically the entire store to ourselves.

"Peppermint patties or fun-size Hershey bars..." Sidney muttered.

Tatum drew back a disgusted face, "Hershey, duh. Peppermint patties are for like... grandmothers." She popped a lollipop back into her mouth and grabbed the large bag of chocolate.

Sidney smiled sheepishly and moved onto the next aisle. I gave Tatum a look, which she shrugged in return, causing me to laugh.

"So, tell me, what's up with you and Stu?" Tatum leaned over the shopping cart that sat between us, the lollipop sticking between her grin.

"I don't know what you mean."

"I think you do."

"You guys have been kind of weird lately!" Sidney called from the other side. "Also, Ruffles or Doritos!"

"Ruffles," Tatum said, not tearing her eyes away from me. "But Sid's right. You guys are like... super weird."

"Well, it's not me." I sighed. I turned on my heel to the drink aisle, dragging the cart with me. "It's just him. I'm weird because he's weird, therefore we're currently weird right now."

"I'm no couples therapist but I don't think that's very healthy. You two aren't one unit."

"We've been together for nearly two years, Tate. It's kind of hard not to be when you see each other practically every day."

Tatum grabbed two huge bottles of sprite and dropped them into the cart with a clang! Her hands landed on her hips as she sent me an unforgiving glance.

"You two are teenagers. I think you're taking this a little too seriously, (Y/n)."

Sidney came around the corner and placed the bags of chips on the rest of the food. She said nothing but I could tell she wanted to hear what I had to say.

"I don't know what you want from me," I shook my head.

"Maybe you two need a break?" Sidney squeaked. "I-I just mean that... no offense but you seem a little codependent on each other. Especially since the whole break-in a year ago..."

"I really don't think it's any of your business..." A sarcastic chuckle escaped my lips. This wasn't the first time that I've heard this. Plenty of times this has come up with Randy, and I was really starting to think that maybe it was jealousy, maybe you were right. But it was outrageous coming from them. They're not a part of the relationship.