Chapter 5

The premiere of Stab had the college campus raving.

I knew it was coming because of the endless amount of prank calls I've received. Each one cheesier than the last, yet none were accurate or remotely scary.

Whether it be from creeps or stupid kids, someone would attempt to mimic Billy and Stu's infamous calls. None were convincing. Death threats tend to lose their meaning after a certain point. Eventually I stopped answering calls altogether from the sheer inconvenience of it.

The first time I had received any sort of prank calls was after Gale Weathers came out with her book. The story had the country in awe and sickos wanted to recreate the effect the boys had.

Then the media announced there would be a movie based on the book, since then I've been ignoring anything regarding its' release. But Randy just wouldn't shut up about it.

"It premiered in theaters last night! Some sort of sneak preview..." Randy yelled from the living room. I ignored him as I finished getting ready for class. It was past 8am meaning I was running late. "I heard they were giving out free tickets."

"You seem pretty eager about it, Randy."

"I'm not. I'm just annoyed."

"Right."

"I am-" He stomped out of the living room, yelling louder- "It's total bullshit! We go through hell yet Gale fucking Weathers profits off of it."

"Sid and I got a lot of revenue from interviews," I said and entered the living room. "In fact, we got several months' pay from NBC alone."

"That's different."

"Not really," I grabbed my bag and searched for my keys. "Dating a killer became profitable."

"She didn't date either of them," Randy furrowed his eyebrows. "She wrote a book."

I shrugged and jangled my keys in his face, "You sound jealous-"

"I survived and didn't earn a cent!"

"Maybe you should be in my place for once," I said. "Or write a book about it!"

"Whatever!" Suddenly the phone rang, causing Randy's face to drop. He picked up the phone, "Hello? ... It's for you." He held out the phone with an unsurprised expression.

"Sorry but I'm running late, it's just some loser anyway... Love you!" I called out before shutting the door behind me.

I drove to school in silence. I shut off the radio after hearing six channels talk about the movie.

Luckily, I wasn't far from the campus and arrived in under five minutes. I found a parking spot and walked quickly to my first class, Psychology, ignoring the stares from onlooking students.

Conversations among my peers fell silent when I sat down in the lecture hall but I paid no mind. One girl that usually sat next to me moved one chair over and whispered in another students' ear. My classes went on like this until 10 am and I was suddenly bombarded with reporters.

"(Y/n), have you heard about last night's murders?"

"Do you think he's back? Are there copycat killers this time?"

I tried pushing past the crowd of news anchors and cameras but it was no use. I shielded my eyes from the flashing lights, unable to catch a word of what they were saying. I was trapped in place but a strong hand gripped around my forearm, pulling me from the crowd.

"I've got you! Follow me..."

I was yanked back into the building and through another set of doors, where a flood of natural light hit my face.