Chapter 3.8

It's the last day of school and everything seems hopeless. I stand here wanting to avoid everyone's critical eyes. Nothing has changed since that day. I wonder if it ever will.

Randy and I aren't on good terms. We started dating immediately after prom. Life became semi-normal. Temporarily. But I let something slip about you. I don't want to talk about it but let's just say I don't see him speaking to me anytime soon.

I've been visiting Sidney more frequently. Tension has simmered down between us but I can tell that our friendship won't ever be the same.

I know that she avoids me because of you. I mean, who can blame her?

The entire senior class is buzzing with excitement. Graduation is next week and kids are bouncing off of the walls. It's hard to match their energy. The new principal can barely hold down the ropes.

I had my final class period with Randy but he sat at the opposite end of the room. As usual. I passed by his seat when turning in my test and he only glared in my direction.

The bell rang not long afterward and I yanked on his arm in the hallway.

"When are you going to stop acting like such a child?" I hissed. Randy flinched but his glare remained.

"I'm not. Just leave me alone," He tried turning away but I grabbed him once more.

"No, you've been ignoring me for weeks."

Randy turned and his eyes softened at my weak form. It was like he was just seeing how shitty it's been. His shoulders drooped and he looked guilty. If I knew any better it looked like he wanted to comfort me. But he didn't.

"I'm... I'm just processing."

"Processing...? Pro.. processing what exactly?" I stuttered. "Just how insane I am?"

"That's not exactly off the table," Randy muttered and stuck his hands in his pockets.

I groaned in disgust and shoved past him, gripping tightly onto my backpack straps.

"Wait-"

"No," I said. "If you want me gone, just say so."

"Where are you going?"

"None of your business," I said but this time I felt him grab my arm.

"Are you going to see him?"

My eyes slowly furrowed when I stared at the boy in front of me. He looked desperate and tired. An aching pain spread across my chest as I realized what he was implying.

"Are you serious right now?" I whispered. His grip tightened around my wrist and his lips formed into a thin line. "Wow..." Tears blurred my vision.

"(Y/n)... You can't blame me," Randy whined. "You... You said his name when you were asleep and I can't help but think about-"

"How I'm possibly sneaking off to see my mother's murderer?" My voice croaked. I yanked my hand away from his violently. "I think I can blame you, Randy... Don't follow me."

I ran out of the building to my car. I don't remember starting the car but I was on the road in no time.

When the car parked I found myself near the beach. The one we went to last summer on your birthday. I mentally cursed myself for coming here.

The sound of seagulls were faint and the salty breeze hit my skin softly. There wasn't anyone on the sandy terrain. Weird.

I sat under the sun for who knows how long. I didn't feel like getting in the water. I could almost see us swimming in the ocean, like a memory replaying in my mind.

Some memories of you were tainted. This one was not.

I shook my head violently. "Stop..." I muttered to myself. "I can't keep doing this."

I needed reality to hit me like a truck. No matter how many times I try to get it through my mind, I can't. I can't seem to separate the fact that you aren't a good person. The person I knew on the beach is the same one who was a part of a massacre. It's not a bad dream, it's reality.

In a perfect reality, somewhere across the dimensions you and I are happy. I keep wishing for something that's not true. Randy and I are true. We're nearly perfect. You keep getting in the way of that.

More tears slipped down my cheeks.

I can't miss this with Randy. Without him, I'd be nowhere near where I am now. I need to move past you. My life depends on it.