Chapter 7

"Cotton..." Sidney sputtered. She took a step backward but Cotton seemed oblivious of her fear.

Gale turned towards the camera and began to report the scene before her, "Here were are at Windsor College, where Sidney Prescott has just been reunited with Cotton Weary for the first time since she wrongly accused him of murdering her mother-"

"What the hell are you doing?" Sidney hissed at Gale, ignoring the camera in front of her.

"We wanna know how you feel!" Gale said as if it were obvious. "Tell us everything that's happened looking back on the last two years."

Sidney shook her hands angrily, fight or flight was written all over her face but Cotton came even closer, stalling both options for the girl. Gale held the microphone up for him to speak.

"Sidney, I just would like to say that I forgive and forget," Cotton said kindly. "Just like you, I'd like to get on with my own life."

"Any comment?" Gale threw the microphone in Sidney's direction, who looked to be winding up like a toy.

"Y-You bitch!"

"Ah-ah," Gale held up a cautious finger and bounced back from Sidney.

Derek, who was staring daggers at Cotton Weary, placed his hands on Sidney's shoulders to prevent her from pouncing.

"Hey, hey deep breaths," Derek cooed. Mickey took a step forward, too, but I knew better.

Even though it looked like Sidney was starting to walk away, I knew what was coming. Gale, however, did not.

"Oh, Sidney, share with us, please!" Gale exclaimed. Wrong move, Ms. Weathers.

The look on Sidney's face was enough warning. With wide eyes, I took a step backward as Sidney backhanded the reporter. Her hand collided with the woman's cheek, making her slam into Cotton Weary's body.

Sidney didn't stop there, "I'll share with you-" She reached forward for more, but Derek held her back, wrapping his arms around her waist.

My hand flew up to cover my mouth but I couldn't prevent the laughter that erupted from my chest. My eyes darted up at Mickey, who had wide eyes and was pointing at the cameraman. I looked to see that his camera was recording.

That night, Randy dragged me to the Delta Lambda mixer against my will.

He managed to convince himself that we had nothing to worry about. So there I was, sitting on a squeaky old swing in the backyard of a sorority house during a mixer I wasn't even invited to. I managed to down a few drinks to give this party some sort of purpose but I lost track of Randy a while ago.

I scanned the area, watching my fellow peers dance the night away. Sidney just showed up, already trapped by the sorority girls who invited her.

I could see Sidney stare at them boredly as they spoke, both of them with their backs to the crowd. Randy came in behind them, drinks in hand, but I found myself focused on someone else entirely.

I profusely blinked. Maybe I was seeing things. I mean, I have been for weeks.

But I swear to god, on my mothers grave, I saw him. I just... I just saw Stu.

He was hugging someone. A pair of sunglasses covered his eyes but I swear to god that same eeriness lingered. I stood to my feet but beyond that I couldn't make myself move. My legs were weighed down with bricks. Both of my arms were glued to my side, my thumb picked at the scarring on my palms.

I had to get out of here.

I turned towards the nearest exit but instead came face to face with someone.

I shrieked, my hands flying upward but a pair of hands caught my forearms. "Hey, hey, it's me," Mickey cooed. Every muscle in my body was frozen until I heard his voice, so I let out a breathy sigh of relief. "What's got you all shook up, sweets?"

I  looked around to see a few people staring at me warily. Another freak, they're thinking. At least, I assumed that's what they were thinking.

Mickey dropped his grip and I stared at the ground.

"Just... jumpy," I sighed. I looked around once more. Stu was nowhere to be found. Mickey was confused and unconvinced.

"I'm telling you, I am right here. If you need a bodyguard, I'm the man," He smiled reassuringly. "I'll be the Kevin Costner to your Whitney."

"Sorry, Micks, but I've already got a Kevin,"  I rolled my eyes.

"What? Your appearing and disappearing act that you call a boyfriend?" Mickey groaned.

"Hey!" I punched his shoulder and he yelped. "I happen to love my boyfriend very much."

Mickey let out a gag when the two sorority girls came running into the backyard.

"Hey guys! Something is up at Omega Beta Zeta," One said. The sound of police sirens rang in the background. "Police are everywhere!"

"Hurry!" They said and a crowd followed the two.

Mickey and I looked at each other. This can't be good.

In a matter of seconds, the whole sorority house was empty. Everyone I knew had followed the crowd. Yet, I couldn't make myself do the same. I stood on the porch of the sorority house in silence, until a phone started to ring.

I jumped, clutching onto the fabric of my shirt as I turned towards the phone in the foyer. It ringed two more times. I could feel myself drawn to it but just as I took a step forward, I heard Sidney's voice.

"You coming, (Y/n)?" She said. I jumped once more but calmed down seeing her and Derek behind me.

"Yeah... I just-" I looked back at the still ringing phone. "Just a sec..." I trailed off.

I took a long stride towards the phone. My shaking hands grabbed the device and held it up to my ear.

"Hello, (Y/n)." A deep voice said. "Remember me?"

My eyebrows furrowed. This was no prank call from what I could tell. But the voice was still off compared to Billy and Stu's voice moderator. I could be wrong. I hoped I was

"What do you want?" I said angrily.

"I want you... It's showtime."

"Then show me your face, you fucking coward," I growled and hung up the phone.

I turned back towards the front door not to see Sidney or Derek but rather a familiar costume that I knew far too well.

"My pleasure," He said, knife in hand.

I let out a wail of fear and ran into the next room. I heard him crash into the wall behind me but didn't look back. I hopped over the furniture in the living room, the sound of more crashes followed, until eventually I found myself in the backyard. It wasn't until I ran into someone that I screamed again but I looked up to see Derek.

"Oh my god-" Sidney said behind him. They both grabbed onto me, looking for an explanation but I could feel the tears welling up.

"The... He's... In there!" I tried to grab both Sidney and Derek to run but the tall brunette ran into the sorority house, leaving us both behind.

"Derek!" Sidney screamed.

"Girls!" We turned around to see Dewey running toward us.

"Dewey!" I yelled, clutching onto him. "Derek just ran in after the killer."

Neither of us could stop Dewey when he entered the house. Sidney ended up doing the same but I watched from afar. Their yelling clouded my ears as hot tears streamed down my face. I built up the courage to follow Sidney but what I saw made me want to shut down entirely.

Derek had been injured, his arm bleeding profusely. Dewey was frantically wrapping gauze around the wound and Sidney was crying, clutching onto his face. I continued to stare without any attempt to wipe away my tears.

It was starting again. And it's all my fault.