the intelligent

Sapporo is one of the most alluring cities in Japan and it's beauty gets enhanced during winter. Snow covering the streets glistening in the first rays of sun, sidewalks looking like descended clouds and of course the dazzling diamond dust of Hokkaido, which surpasses the delicacy of the cherry blossoms in spring.

Apart from this, Sapporo is also famous for its 'Annual Snow Festival'; considered one the best traits of the city - displaying hundreds of snow statues and ice sculptures, which is held for a period of seven days.

On one such day was born little Namikazu. Though he was born in a beautiful place, his life was anything but that. His mother is an alcoholic and she doesn't even know who the father of her child is. The one thing she knows for sure is that she got pregnant with Namikazu when she was still in high school and that she didn't get to graduate because of it. She neither had a job, nor was trying to get one. The only way they could afford the rundown garret they resided in was because of her intimate relationships with various men. No, she wasn't a hooker but she liked to live a carefree life filled with ecstasy and zero responsibilities. She always used to call Namikazu a mistake and that he should have never been born in the first place. She blames him for her misery as she couldn't get any big fish being a mother, which he doubts she ever was.

The garret had just one room, so if his mother brought some guests over at night, he would run out of the house and sleep in one of the playground tunnels, and would only return to get ready for school in the morning.

Namikazu was an 'academic prodigy', so even when his mother didn't pay the tuition fees, his school let him continue his studies. He skipped grades and graduated high school at the age of fourteen by which time his mother became pregnant again.

He went to 'The University of Tokyo' on a scholarship and worked part time to make money for her maternal expenses. It's not that he cared for his mother, no; it was because of the pitiful children growing inside her.

During the last few weeks of her pregnancy, she changed. She became a more responsible and altogether different person from what Namikazu remembers. But he knew it wouldn't last and he was right; she relapsed when the twins were a couple of months old.

Not wanting them to suffer the same fate as him, he claimed custody over them soon after he turned eighteen. He was granted custody as he had a stable job working as an assistant professor at 'The University of Tokyo' as compared to their unemployed mother who was about to put them in foster care as they were an hindrance to her life. The courthouse was the last he ever saw of his mother.

Life was hard for Namikazu; he had to work along with doing his PhD and not to mention taking care of two, three-year old siblings. But he was managing better than he expected; his university had a daycare which takes care of the children of it's staff and his colleagues also volunteered to look after them whenever he was busy, for which he was extremely grateful.

His favourite pastime was reading, so whenever he gets the chance, he reads. Some of his favourite authors were Tolstoy, Dostoyevsky and Murakami; he loved thought provoking books, which made him pause and analyze. He was always amazed by how these writers could fit in profound topics under the veil of simple narratives. He also loved history, which explains why he works as a professor in the 'History Department'. He felt it necessary to learn about the life of people and humanity as a whole that existed prior to us. The circumstances they were in and the way they reacted to them; sometimes surrendering, sometimes breaking through; fascinated him. To understand the evolution of the thought processes of humans, he deemed it necessary to know the past.

At the age of twenty one, Namikazu became the youngest professor with tenure in 'The University of Tokyo'. Now that he sent the twins to a boarding school, he finally had some time for himself. He was asked to lead an expedition organized by their university for the students of various universities around the globe, the main aim of which was to teach students about the history of various places in Europe like Pompeii, Rome and Greece. Being present on-site and exploring the remains of significant monuments and places first hand would help the students further connect to the past was the reason behind this expedition. He would be leading a team of ten students for a period of five days to educate them about these places. He probably didn't anticipate that he would end up learning more about history, only this time; his.

 He probably didn't anticipate that he would end up learning more about history, only this time; his

NAMJOON AS NAMIKAZU