FORTY NINE

Today is another good game for us all. It's the last game of the season. For this, we are away at Arsenal so its also a good game to finish on. I'm friends with a few of the arsenal payers and we are having a few drinks after the match I believe. I can't wait.

I'm currently in the tunnel, waiting to go out to the pitch and I'm next to Jordan. We are talking and messing around. I keep glancing over at Leah and this time, we make eye contact. I smile at her and send her a wink. Her smile grows wider and we both go back to our conversations. Nothing too important has happened with Leah and me. We've been texting and traveling to see each other when we can but nothing else really. When we do see each other and when we talk, there's still the flirtatious joking. We kiss sometimes too. It's become so natural between us. We just don't do it in front of anyone else.

The pre-match things happen (captain thingy and shaking hands) and we all get into position. We all drop to our knee to have a moment for the Black Lives Matter. Arsenal start the game and everything is under way. The game is very back and forth and no big opportunities have come across.

At the 27th minute, Arsenal think that they're clear on goal but their player takes a bit too long to shoot. Houghton swoops in and steals the ball from underneath her. She sends it wide to Bronze who comes up field for a bit. Soon, pressure is given and she has to pass. The ball comes to me but the Arsenal players are on my tail. Stanway is in some space so i send the ball over to her who then passes over to the left side of the pitch. Weir collects the ball and then passes to Hemp who whips the ball into the box. Beckie just happens to be in the right place at the right time. A near perfect volley comes from the Canadian and the ball goes in the back of the net. I run up to her and celebrate with her, hearing the crowd in the background going crazy. I look over at the screen to see the replay and point it out to Janine. It was a great goal.

To restart the game, Miedema knocks the ball back to Wälti who then sends a long ball back to Miedema. She managed to sprint passed all of our players and get into an attacking position. The ball lands perfectly at her feet and she send the ball into the back of the net. Another good goal and back to back with the opener. I can tell that this game is going to be very competitive.

Restarting the game again, Beckie passes to Stanway who makes a safe ball to Houghton. Bronze is free so she receives the ball but not for long. She's closed down by a player so Roebuck gets her first pass back. Greenwood is out wide in a lot of space so Roebuck makes a fast and safe pass to her. The ball is passed between players but the first 45 minutes are over and everyone is heading back to the changing rooms. The last few minutes had no action at all.

I have to keep myself in the right headspace at half time. The game is very competitive but also really fun. Both teams are putting in the effort needed but also making sure to have fun. We might as well because this is the last game for us until September. I'm already excited for the next season. This year at City has been up and down but I've enjoyed most of it. My first pro year has been amazing.

After a short rest, we all head back out for the second half. Beckie takes one for the team and restarts the game. Stanway gets the ball passed to her who then sends the ball to Greenwood for safety. Time is spent by the ball being passed around and interceptions breaking up plays.

The ball is in our possession and is on the left hand side of the pitch, Hemp is under some pressure so she has to pass back to Greenwood. Just when she is about make a long ball over th defence, Gut (the Swiss player) slides in with her foot up. She catches Greenwood's ankle and the ref blows for a free kick. The gunner apologies for the tackle and helps Alex up when she wants is. She shakes off the pain in the ankle and stands over the ball for the free kick.

I stay out of the pushing at the edge of the box and stand about 15 yard away from the halfway line. I see that Greenwood spots me so i signal that i want the ball. I ready myself and wait for an indication of what is going to happen. The whistle is blown and greenwood takes her run up. She dummies the ball and Hemp follows up behind her, making a long and accurate pass to me. I control the ball and push up field. Arsenal players come near me so I pick out Kelly in the box. I whip it in but Walti gets a head on the ball, just before Chloe.