Chapter 91 - Mint Chocolate Chip

Start from the beginning

But Pepper had been the driving force, taking on most of the planning and getting everything ready. She had been so efficient that today, the day before the wedding, there's nothing left to do. In fact, she had given you explicit instructions last night to enjoy the day.

Yet here you are. Awake at at the crack of dawn. And oh so excited.

"I can't believe tomorrow's the day," you mumble into Loki's ear as you snuggle in tighter. "Where did this week go? I feel like Sif and the gang only got here yesterday."

"And yet they've spent the past week cavorting around Midgard with your mother. Quite frankly I'm shocked that Herkja has enjoyed such...cushioned living," Loki scoffs.

"Well, she did grow up in the palace, Lo. She hasn't lived out on that island forever. She probably misses it."

You both fall silent, but you can sense Loki has something on his mind.

"You want to talk about it?" you ask.

"Hm?" hums Loki. "Talk about what, darling?"

"Whatever's on your mind."

Loki lets out a quiet, humming chuckle.

"You know me well, kærasta."

"Well, we are bonded, Lo."

Loki places a kiss on your head, but doesn't speak further for several minutes. You wait patiently, knowing that he's thinking about how he wants to discuss whatever occupies his thoughts.

"I have given additional consideration to the 'groomsmen' tradition of which you spoke in days past, darling."

"You have?" you ask, somewhat surprised. You never really expected Loki to have anyone up there at the altar with him. His pride simply wouldn't allow it.

"I do believe that I would benefit from...moral support."

Your brow furrows as you pull back from Loki's chest to look at him directly. Moral support? Is he having second thoughts?

"I'm glad you want our family involved but...is everything okay? Are you...are you thinking you might not want to have a wedding?" you ask quietly, trying very hard to hide the hurt and fear in your voice.

"Nothing of the sort, elskede," Loki answers quickly, hearing it anyway. "I suppose what I mean to say is...I enjoyed their attendance at our bonding."

Your nose wrinkles slightly as you try to understand.

"I thought myself to be...indifferent to their presence," Loki says, void of emotion. But you can tell he's masking. A habit he still occasionally slips into when he feels vulnerable. "But I found the festivities to be livelier with their involvement."

"Lo," you say hesitantly, still not fully understanding what he's getting at. "The family will be there for the wedding. And the party. You don't have to have them at the altar with you. They won't be offended," you offer, hoping to calm whatever has him feeling so uncomfortable.

But it seems your words have the opposite effect, as Loki lets out an aggravated sigh and his body grows tense.

"No, that's not...," one of Loki's hands leaves your arm as he brings it to his face, rubbing the bridge of his nose between his fingers and letting out a deep sigh. "Darling, I want them to be a part of our wedding. I just don't know how to ask them."

Your heart leaps and warmth floods into your cheeks as an uncontrollable smile spreads across your face. You sit upright and look down at Loki, part of you not believing what you just heard.