Chapter 958

Gabby's POV: After making our way back out to the kitchen, I smiled when I saw Nancy literally set everything down on the counter. "Nancy, you didn't have to do all this. This is too much. Normally we just keep it in the trays and eat out of them." Nancy then turned to look at me and smiled. "This way, it's already in stuff that you can use to reheat them. I know you ordered extra so that you didn't have to cook for a few days." Matt nodded and smiled. "I ordered 2 family meals. One for now and one for tomorrow."

I then looked at him. "The cost?" Matt smiled. "Priceless, means more time as a family on our first Christmas." I smiled when he said that before nodding. I then walked over to the counter. "This looks good. Now, let's dig in." Matt chuckled and nodded as he went to grab his plate first when I slapped his hand. "You're last." Matt looked at me. "But..." I glared at him. "Your mom is our guest, and then your wife always goes before you!" I then watched as Nancy smirked. "You tell him Gabby. Thought I taught you better Matt." She then went to squeeze his cheek.

Matt's POV: "Mom!" I smiled when he said that before going to grab my food. "Oh, they sent extra. Must remember our phone number. The firehouse orders from this place all the time." Matt chuckled when I said that. "That reminds me...I think they're on shift tonight." I turned to look at him and thought about it. "Yes, they are. We need to call them. It's good for Hermann though because it means he can be there when his kids open their gifts tomorrow."

My mom looked at us confused. "What kind of first name is Hermann?" I then saw her finish making her plate before walking over to the table. "Oh, his first name is Christopher. Sorry mom, just a habit for us. We use last names at the firehouse. So...at work, I'm Casey and Gabby's Dawson." My mom looked at us confused. "Gabby, you didn't take Matt's name?" Gabby looked at her, a bit offended. "And if I didn't?" My mom nodded. "That's great, keep your independence." I was shocked when my mom said that.

"Mom, you okay? You were completely appalled when Christie got married and suggested that she keep her last name. You vetoed it even if it wasn't your choice." My mom smiled. "Called evolution Matthew. Your mom isn't that old that she can't evolve as a woman." I nodded and agreed when we all had our food. I then walked over to the table with Gabby and smiled. "Drinks?" My mom smiled. "You have any red wine?" I looked at Gabby and liked the idea.

Gabby smiled and nodded. "Sounds great." I then walked away to the fridge so that I could get the wine out. I then moved to grab three wine glasses before pouring us three glasses. "Gabby, can you come help me bring them over? Then we need to do a toast." Gabby nodded and agreed, walking over when I saw my mom walk over too. "Might as well just do it here." I nodded and smiled as she grabbed a glass. I then moved my arm around Gabby when she stood next to me.

"To Christmas 2020." We all agreed and smiled as we toasted. We then all took drinks of wine and then, I placed a kiss on Gabby's lips like I always did when we did toasts. Gabby smiled when I did that and then laid her head down on my shoulder. I then kissed her forehead softly. "Let's go eat. Then we can relax with my mom on the couch." She smiled and nodded as she walked over to the table together.

Sitting down once again, I then moved to grab my utensils and smiled. "Let's dig in before that guy over there gets cranky and needs some attention." We all laughed when I said that. "He like you when you were a kid Matt?" I shook my head. "Much more well behaved." My mom chuckled. "Just wait until he's walking Gabby. I swear, this one here never wanted to wear clothes. He just wore his diaper all day. Eventually, I got tired of having to run after him."

I blushed and looked at my mom. "You're going to enjoy this aren't you? Now that you have a daughter-in-law, you get to share all of my stories from when I was a kid." His mom was about to answer when I went ahead. Grabbing my hand and rubbing it, she smiled at us. "I want to know about how Matt was as a kid. Might give me a heads up for what to expect with Matteo."

My mom then smiled. "Well, beware because this guy was a big swimmer when he was a kid. Always loved the beach. However, I once heard you did the polar bear plunge? What's that." I smiled when she said that. "It's where you go into the lake in your swim trunks during the middle of winter. It's a fundraiser. It's pretty much mandatory for me since it's sponsored by the CFD. They use it to raise awareness against swimming in the winter because you can get hypothermia." 

Gabby smiled when I said that. "It's quite attractive though. To see you go through with the commitment you made just to raise money is a sign that you have a great heart." I smiled when she said that before nodding as I went to take a bite of my food. "Listen, how about we eat and then we can keep talking when we lay down together. Mom, if you don't mind...I like to cuddle up to Gabby after supper so we might do that on the couch."

My mom agreed and smiled. "You guys do whatever you normally do around the house. Don't let me stop you guys okay? Just keep it appropriate because I am here. However, I am holding Matteo regardless of weather or not that is something you normally do after dinner." I laughed and smiled, nodding. "We need to give him a bath though. He hasn't hade one in a few days." Gabby nodded and agreed. "I'll do it after I eat and while you're doing the dishes."

I agreed and smiled as we all ate supper that night.