Chapter Nine

Jax and I have not spoken for several days. We ran into each other a couple of times in one of the many halls I've gotten lost in. He somehow brought back my weird awkward self; I scurry away any chance I get before a conversation might happen.

In my head, I knew I was doing the right thing by keeping my distance, but my heart felt differently. I tried keeping my mind off him by staying busy every chance I could by showing Zane how to cook. I wasn't much better than he was so I was surprised when he let me. But, he was nice to talk to and he was more awkward than I was. I did however, kept seeing his eyes wonder to my hand that held the knife as I cut the veggies. It was as if he was waiting for me to shank him or something. Eventually, he warmed up to me when we started talking about Star Wars.

I had a chance to show Molly a few shooting techniques in the soundproof room they had there. If a grenade went off in that room, you wouldn't be able to hear it. I wasn't really much of a gun person and I missed the feel of Lucy in my hands. I had finally found her in the armory room. Kia and her father were stationed there as keepers of the weapons and blacksmiths of creating and fixing them.

I got a bit nervous when Kia told me she was doing an upgrade on my hatchet. Lucy was perfect the way she was, but I was impressed when Kia gave me some throwing knives that she had handcrafted herself. I was awe-struck at how she managed to make an even balance in the blades.

Molly's eyes focused on the target as she pulled her hand back and threw the blade. The metal clanked as the knife hit the floor. Her chin was tucked snug in her chest, showing disappointment when the knife didn't stick. "This is pointless."

"Your breathing's off. You got to learn how to control it." I positioned myself at the front of the target. "Don't look at anything else, just that red dot. Silence everything that's going on in your head." I took a deep breath in and out. "It's just you and that red dot."

Taking another deep breath, I arched my arm back and released the knife, consciously exhaling the air through my lips. The dagger sailed through, hitting the target. Its sharp tip punctured the dot perfectly.

"Easy for you to say. You were made for this." She crossed her arms and pursed her pouty lips.

"Oh, come on Molly." I ran over to retrieve the blades. "I didn't know shit about this before." I extended my arm to hand them over. "It's all about practice."

She tapped her foot in a way that showed her age in her attitude. I shook my head disappointingly. "Hey, if you still want to be looked at like a baby... well... then fine. I guess you'll be a baby forever," I teased as I pretended to walk away.

"Wait!" she quickly shouted.

I turn around with an arched brow.

"Okay, okay! Give me the blades, please."

She took the blades from my hand and positioned herself for the umpteenth time.

"Remember, block everything out. Deep breath in. And then out."

Her eyes narrowed in as her lips pinched shut. I could see her chest rising and lowering. She released the blade from her hand. Instead of hearing the familiar clanking sound, we heard a thud as it pierced the second ring of the target.

Molly's body jumped with excitement. She waved her hands in the air in celebration. "I did it! I did it!"

I nodded in approval. "I knew you could."

Molly positioned herself to throw again but the squeak of the door got our attention.

My smile disappeared as I saw Zane's wide eyes look my way. "It's Jax."