Chapter 2: Tour Talks

Demi POV:

‘’So we figured we’d call you in today to discuss how you want the tour layout to be” Jeff sat poised on the edge of his desk, arms folded across his desk with a look of seriousness in his eyes.

The Xfactor gig had all been sorted and I wouldn’t hear from producers until May to attend promotional outings before auditions. Contract had been signed and Jeff figured now was the time to get a start on preparations for the ‘Unbroken’ tour. The locations were set and tickets were to go on sale in two weeks. The only thing now was prepping the setlist and the show itself.

  “Well I’ve got the setlist figured out already in my head” I already knew what 15 songs I was going to perform. Most of which were from the current album and a few ‘old’ faves from my previous albums as well.

  “Good. We figured you would want to do that yourself seeing as how you’ll be singing them” My mom was with us today. She was sort of like my ‘other’ manager, I guess if anyone had your best interests at heart it would be your own mother.

  “We’ve hired a tour manager, Katie Simmons and a choreographer, Jack Robles to get you started and we were thinking next week Wednesday would be a good start?” asked Jeff.

 “We already took the liberty to hiring backup singers and dancers and of course we already have the band” he continued.

  “Right, and of course Monday sounds fine” I replied, eager to get started. There had already been much anticipation from my fans about the tour and I was so ready to get back into the thick of it all, as well as give back to them for all the support they had given me.

 Since leaving rehab, I had found an enormous amount of comfort in reading fan letters and tweets from my fans, which I lovingly call my ‘Lovatics’. I had been scared at how the media would depict my ultimate meltdown and going online was a task I dreaded but I knew I had to try and connect with whoever was left in order to build my fan base again. But surprisingly there had been loads of loving messages which I had spent many endless nights in bed, reading while running through many a boxes of tissues to dry my tears. I was so thankful to them. And now I was even more thankful because I was doing my part in giving back to them.

 ‘’There is only one other thing though” my thoughts were interrupted by Jeff.

  I looked up, “What?” I said inquiringly.

 “The first concert is always sort of like the big one, it needs to start off on a good note to sort of set the mood for the rest of the succeeding ones”

  “…and?” I was all ears now.

 My mom turned to me, “And since it’s here in LA at the Greek theatre, we want to invite some special guests maybe to perform with you.. Sort of like, make it a real special occasion if you like”

  “Special guests?” I’d never had any special guests in any of my previous tours, I’d only been a special guest in other people’s tours myself. “Who do you have in mind?”

  “Well Selena Gomez has agreed to sign on…” Jeff put forward.

  Selena was one of my childhood friends that I still kept in touch with, even if it wasn’t as much as before I entered rehab. She had her own career now though, and was dating a megastar Justin Bieber. “Selena could duet with me on la la land I guess’’ I suggested. I was ok with that.

  “Who else do you have in mind?” I asked, curious as to who else they had in mind.

  “Well you haven’t quite made any new acquaintances in the music world as we'd hoped, since you ‘came back’ so we just had to dig in your old life for someone else who ‘might’ fit the bill to perform with you” Jeff looked nervous. 

  “Who is it?” I sat up a little straighter.

 “It’s one of the Jonas brothers” My mom interjected.

  I tensed.

  “Its not Joe, don’t worry” Jeff quickly added.

 I sighed a sigh of relief. Joe Jonas was not a person I wanted to see, well not yet anyway. He had left me heartbroken and it was still somewhat something I was still sour over. He had been my first real love and it still hurt to think of. I guess, deep in my heart i held onto a little hope that one day Joe would come back to me. But not right now, i decided. I needed to focus. 

  “It’s Nick” my mom smiled. My mom always had a soft spot for the youngest Jonas. Nick, I thought. With his curly mess of hair and those dark flashing eyes always lit up with laughter. There was once a point when he had been one of the two people I could call my closest friends, next to Sel. But whatever little contact I had with Selena nowadays, it was still more than Nick. I hadn’t spoken to Nick in person since I had left rehab in January 2011 when I had walked out of the rehab centre and there he stood with my family, and Selena waiting to welcome me back. The thought made me smile.

 Nick Jonas had been my closest confidante when we were on tour. I could tell him everything that was going on with me, all my troubles, including the ones involving Joe, his brother. He always listened silently and gave me long hugs. I was grateful to have him there. It was sad though because once I started working on my album I had little time for interaction, and with Nick being with Joe most of the time, I found it easier to avoid him altogether in order to avoid Joe. It was a friendship I missed dearly but I thought a decision I could live with.

 “I haven’t heard or seen Nick in a year, how did you manage to get him to sign on?” I turned to Jeff.

 “Well to be honest it was Selena’s idea and she managed to persuade him to do so”

 Thank God, i thought. if there was anyone on this earth who could sweet talk Nick Jonas into something it was Selena Gomez. they had dated back in 2008 after taking to each other when i introduced them both. But it had been a year since they had parted ways on mutual decisions. They still however kept in touch by what i heard through talk and media sites. They had become great friends and harboured no uncomfortable, unresolved feelings towards each other unlike Joe and I. Selena had actually done alot for Nick's career starting with getting him to sign as a solo artist into the same record label as her boyfriend, Justin. because of that, Nick's career was also booming. I silently made a mental note to thank Sel. 

 “But it wasn’t only due to Selena’s bidding though” Jeff continued. “He did after all write a few songs with you and he was only too happy to hop on the wagon and he’s very much missed you by how he spoke Demi”

“That’s fine with me” I smiled. I missed him too. I was set on gaining my friend back and becoming close once again.