DON'T LET HER GO

A PROMISE TO THE DEAD

_____________c h a p t e r  t w e n t y

_____________
c h a p t e r t w e n t y

Carson hops into the Jeep, still a bit skeptical of his confession.

"You look really pretty."

She looks down at her dress, shrugging. "I've been wearing this all day."

"Doesn't make you less pretty."

She blushes, messing with her rings, before gaining her composure back. "Where are we going?"

"I love you," he blurts out.

"That is not exactly a location-" she looks down at her hands, as he starts the engine.

"I love you, okay? I know that scares you, I know that's why you broke up with me, I know. You're afraid I'm gonna leave, or hurt you, and I know I already did when I hooked up with Malia, but I promise you I never stopped loving you."

"Stiles-"

"No. You're not gonna interrupt me this time, okay?"

"Okay."

"You're scared. You think that I didn't feel anything for you, which couldn't be further from the truth. I had a crush on Lydia in the third grade, and then I met her best friend in the fifth grade, and I swear I never liked anybody so much."

"You were in the fifth grade-"

"You're interrupting. I know I was just a kid, but I know how I felt. Anyway, she became my best friend. And I had to watch her date literally the worst guys in the world. I mean the worst. One of them literally murdered her."

"Stiles-"

"Interrupting! My point is that I have loved you since the day I met you, and I tried to get over it by hyperfixating on Lydia, who can be very vicious, and I liked her, I did, but not like I liked you. And then I had you, and I was the happiest I've ever been in my life."

"And I ripped that away from you, I get it," she sighs, while he leads her up the steps.

"No, you don't get it. Because you think that there's gonna be a day where I stop loving you and there isn't. I didn't erase you from my life, I put everything in this box because it was too painful to look at you everyday when I thought you were gone," he hands her the box from his car.

"You kept it all?"

"Of course I did. It was so hard, Carson. I-It didn't matter where I went, there were reminders of you everywhere, reminders that you were gone," he grabs her hand. "Coach had this huge sign made, the radio seemed like it was always playing your favorite song, and uh-" he looks down, as if afraid to tell her the next part.

"What is it, Stiles?" she squeezes his hand.

"Um, when I- when I went to sleep, I'd have these nightmares, you know?" he scratches the back of his neck.