"Are you cold?" He's already moving towards the air controls, turning on the heat.

"Yeah, thanks." I lie.

"Turn on whatever music you want." he offers while driving.

The volume is low but I can hear rock music playing, and I'm totally fine with whatever he likes to listen to, so I simply turn it up a little. I tap my fingers along with the beat.

"What are your plans after school?" Vic asks his focus on the road.

"No real plans since I'm not allowed at the bar. I figured I'd study. I can make dinner."

"You don't have to do that. I can make dinner or we can order out."

"You cook?"

"Eh.."

"I can make dinner."

"I won't turn it down but don't feel obligated."

"I want to."

"Okayyy." He draws out the word, "But I meant what I said, I may never let you leave."

I laugh, "I don't think your future girlfriend will appreciate your friend, who is a girl, living with you."

His demeanor changes instantly, "I don't think I'll be dating anyone else."

That comment is like a splash of cold water. I know he's going through a lot, and it makes sense, why would he want to date anyone after the shit that his ex's pulled. I've been putting way too much thought into this whole friendship. It's absolutely just that. Friendship.

"No, maybe not any time soon, but eventually."

"I think she ruined me for any other woman."

"She did not!" My voice rising, "Victor Michael Russo," I pull out his full name, "This mentality is her winning. That bitch is not winning. You're a catch! Say it with me."

He glances at me like I'm crazy, "What?"

"Repeat it with me."

He laughs, "No."

I smack his arm, and his eyes widen.

"Victor..."

"Fine." He huffs.

"On the count of three...One...Two...Three..."

"I'm a catch." we both say the words together.

"Now yell it."

"Jade." he presses.

"One..two...three..."

"I'm a catch!" we both scream and then we burst out laughing.

"That was therapeutic. I think you're in the wrong field."

"It was, wasn't it?"

"I don't believe it, but thanks for caring."

"That's what friends are for."

In the corner of my eye, I see his body stiffen. Such an odd thing for someone who said just the same thing to me a minute ago.

 Such an odd thing for someone who said just the same thing to me a minute ago