Vendetta

I'm in the middle of our Monday morning meeting when there's a knock on the meeting room door

I'm in the middle of our Monday morning meeting when there's a knock on the meeting room door. Mr. Daniels pauses, "Come in." The door opens a few inches revealing June's black and gray updo. "I'm sorry Mr. Daniels. Victor there's a call for you, she says it's urgent."

I'm instantly on alert. She? The names run through my head. Mom? Veronica? Jade? Fuck, Melissa? I glance at my boss and he waves his hand, "Go ahead and get that. I think we're all cleared up with accounting."

"Thank you Sir." I quickly scoop up my notepad and pen then rush out the door, "June, please patch her through." June rushes towards her cubicle and I hurry to my office, which is on the other fucking side of the building. Dammit, why didn't I ask June who it was. I swear to god if it's Melissa, I'm going to flip my shit. I jog the last few steps and whip open the door, making sure to close it behind me. The little light is blinking on my line, picking up the phone, I take a deep breath before pressing the button.

"Victor speaking."

"Vic I am so sorry to call you at work, I tried your phone and I wasn't sure who else to call." Jade rushes out, her voice tremors like she's been crying.

"Jade..Jade..are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine but there's been an incident."

Before I even know what I'm doing, I grab my cell and keys ready to bolt. "What incident? Where are you?"

"I'm at the bar. My car is fucked, it's all fucked up."

"Did you call the police?"

"No, my mind went blank. I ran back into my apartment and called you."

"Okay. I'm leaving. When we hang up, call the police, I'll be there in fifteen minutes."

"Alright. Thank you."

"It's gonna be fine." I reassure her, "I'll see you soon."

Her response is quiet and reluctantly put down the handset then I rush out to June, "I'm leaving. I probably won't be back!"

"I hope everything is alright!" June's voice carries down the hall as I run to the elevator.

I make the fifteen minute drive in ten, breaking all kinds of traffic violations. Pulling into the bar lot and turning behind the building where Jade parks. "Fuck!" I hiss out at the sight of her Civic. There's no doubt in my mind who did this. The word 'Whore' is painted across the whole driver's side in white. I exit my car and take in the damage. The tires are flat, there's a nasty dent in the fender, and scratches in swirls all over.

The metal door opens and my gaze whips over to Jade, who looks disheveled. She rushes over and I catch her in an embrace. "Tell me what happened!" I demand. I'm fucking angry but right now, I know she needs comfort. This is a huge low blow. An expensive blow.

"I don't know!" she pulls away, "I came out to leave for school and found this..." she gestures to her destroyed car.

"Fuck. Okay. You called the police?"